1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air shocks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Dec 22, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm about due for some shocks on my truck. I would like a little more "oomph" up front, so I was kind of considering air shocks. Anyone running them, or tried them??? Do you have to keep a certain amount of air in them, or can you empty them when the plow is not attached? I have air bags on the back, so I'll probably just go with regular shocks in the rear. Any advice???

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

IMO Air chock are not up to the task of front end duty with a plow. If you are looking for height then I would add timbrens or air bags. If you want good dampning with or without the plow then go with a progressive shock like a edlebrock, or a heavy duty shock.

I don't think the air shocks would hold up. Most of the time I see them on muscli cars and such where clearance for tires and reduced wheel hop is needed. With a plow I would think they might blow out the air resevoirs on a bad bump.

3. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I manage a Parts store and sell a lot of shocks. First of all the air shocks will definately not hold up to the weight of the plow and all of the abuse that your front end takes during the course of plowing. Secondly, you didn't mention what kind of truck you have, but my guess is that you'll have a hard time fitting them on most newer trucks.

You can buy comercial duty or load carrier shocks for most trucks. Gabriel makes a full line of them. Also, again depending on what kind of truck you have, Timbrens will work or you could consider beefing your springs or torsion bars.

Trust me, if you want to have long term reliability, doing it right the first time is the key.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

One other consideration is that shock mounts aren't really designed as load carrying members. I've always thought that air shocks were a good way to bend or break the mounting points.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Todd, I sure hope you work for a good auto parts store and not one of the ones that we have all complained about. lol

6. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

BIG TODD, slimjim has a chevy z71, slimjim i have used air shocks and have had several problems with them leaking.
    dan

7. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Well, DaveK, at the risk of veering off the subject for a moment, I did a search to see who you've been complaining about. All I have to say is that with large chain auto parts stores, not all of them are run the same. I make sure that my employees are knowledgable about the parts that they sell and that they ask the right questions so that our customers get the right part the first time. Also, word spreads fast and I am proud to say that I have a lot of customers who plow snow that stop in just to talk or seek advice. I do my best to run it like a small town or neighborhood parts store even though it is a large and busy store.

On the shock issue, I want to second Alan's coment that the shock mounts are not designed to be load carrying devices.

Well, time to mount the plow and get things ready. The snow is flying in West Michigan. I'm so excited!:D

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I would leave it alone,and live with the sag,it shouldnt be to bad with a light sno-way,or add timbren booster,I added them to my 91 GMC 2500ld,they picked the front end up about 1/2" with and without the plow,also firmed up the ride a tad,you can definetly feel it is stiffer.No matter what you do,it will affect the ride,so keep that in mind,your truck rides great,Im sure,ive owned a similar truck,for the time the blade wil be on the truck,12-15 days out of the 365 a year,i dont think its worth the stiffer ride,especially since it wont make your front end any beefier,or add any weight capacity.Alan is right about shock mounts,they are not for supporting weight,only controllinf suspension oscilations,so i wouldnt do them,if you could even find them.

9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for all the info guys. I figured since I was going to replace the shocks anyway, I'd see if the air shocks were the way to go. I'm not all that worried about the front end sagging, it only comes down about 1/2" with the plow up. It is a little sloppy with the plow on though. But maybe new shocks themselves will help to cure that. I'd say 75,000 miles is long enough... LOL

Tim

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well Todd, I wasn't the only one complaining. :) And by your response, I would guess that you manage an Autozone. :D

BTW, Autozone is usually the first place I go. Mainly because of price and location. But nothing beats a run down old parts store with stools in front of the counter and ashtrays on the counter. :)

And you had better send some of that snow a little farther east, I haven't seen a flake yet tonight.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Dave do you drive all the way to CT to go to the same parts store? LOL Sounds like it. I too usually go to Autozone first for price and quanity (oil, etc.) When I need a part though I like the stools.;)