1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Shocks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by F2507.3, Oct 22, 2004.

1. F2507.3

F2507.3 Junior Member

Has anyone tried or had success - getting the sag out of the front with a high end air suspension type shock?
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think that they would provide enough lift. you can either go with timbrens or air bags.
    or replace your front springs with a set of X springs.
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've seen Firestone Air bags used successfully. I have air shocks on the rear to help the tired springs with the ballast and mowing equipment. I wanted to try them on the front(air bags), but couldn't find an application for my truck, so I went with a step up in springs.
  4. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

"X" code springs...

If your looking for weight capabilities... It's a no brainer. Go with a set of "X" code springs from your local Ford dealer. These are the springs that come with the plow prep package on the 250/350's and (I believe) are stock issue on the 450/550 trucks.

On my 02 250 PSD... man what a difference!! :nod: I use a Western 8' Pro Poly and with stock springs, the truck sagged like a high school hotrod. And even on smaller bumps, I was dern near hitting the bump stops. With the "X" springs installed, the nose drops less than an inch. No Timbrens required!! With a bit of ballast, the drop is even less!!

You may be concerned with unloaded ride quality.... All I can say is these should have come as standard equipment on the 250 SuperDutys!! Unloaded, there's no more nose diving under braking or wallowing in corners like a drunk hippo. As a bonus, the stock front end rake on my SuperDuty is now gone.

The set of front springs and new u-bolts cost about the same as the air bags, and (with proper tools) they're a snap to install. No lines to worry about, and these won't leak air. :rolleyes:

If you'd like more details, drop me a P.M.... :salute:
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the spring number is 2C3Z-5310-AF you need 2
    U bolts are F81Z-5705-2A " " 4
    nuts are N805480-S426 " " 8.
    the nuts can only be used one time.
  6. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Back to top....

OK I posted a question on this thread and have about 7 post after mine. Not one addressed the post I was asking about so I am putting this back at the top to see if we can stick on the subject that I origianlly worte about.

Any thoughts from you stobe users? I want this system as it looks like many people like it and most of all because I have a nice truck and want to hide stuff like this.

Anyone? Nancy or other dealers?!?!?
  7. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

OK I have NO idea how this got here. I wrote this post in reply to a post called "Strobe light questions".

This site is screwy.....