1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air shocks for 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RC4X4, Oct 9, 2011.

1. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

Just installed a new Snow Dogg HD75 on my 2003 GMC sierra 1500 and want to reduce my front end sag. I have read about all the different ways to do this (Timberns, 2500 T-bars, different keys, turn t-bars up. ect.) I currently have different keys with the t-bars turned up and around 800lbs of ballast in the back. (probably don't need quit that much)
    I'm really not worried about the sag so much, but i need more ground clearance where the mount is.
    Air bags would be perfect because this truck is also my daily driver. But no one offers bags for t-bar set ups. So Air shocks are the way to go. But i also can't find anyone who offers air shocks for a 1500.
    Has anyone put air shocks on there 1500?
    Maybe universal ones?
    And if air shocks are not an option, what is my best alternative?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

you may wan tto try a life kit of some sort. Shocked that you are having ground clearance issues after turning up the t-bars. i Had a 05 1500 with a pro plow on it and the clearance was fine with t-bars turned up and timbrens installed. i didnt even have that much ballast. i think i was running 500lbs in the rear. You may also want to try increasing you tire size to gain more clearance. i've heard that helps also. But just remember if you raise the truck to high you will change you attack angle for your plow. All plow frames are low.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You could modify your front shock mounts to run the rear air shocks. If there is room for the shock I would think it could work.

Oh yeah, awesome truck

5. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the reply. The lift kit that i have is basically the different keys. I have about 6" of clearance between the ground and the mount bracket when the plow is raised and close to 9" with it lowered. Maybe this is somewhat normal but it scrapes the ground quit a bit just going into one of the lots that i plow. I am at the limit for tire size. They rub a little, and with the plow now they rub alot. another reason air struts/shocks would be nice. Does anyone know where i can get some for my truck??? Or some that would work??

6. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the links! I will definitely call them and inquire about fit.

7. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

If i can't find something that will fit, I will consider doing that for sure.
    Oh and thanks. awesome truck you got there yourself.

8. mossman381

Thanks, I don't think you are going to find anything made for the front. I looked all over one time when I was plowing with a 1500. Never did find anything.

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

your going to have to mod something. they dont really have anything for older ifs chevys. like moss said mod your shock mounts to fit a set or rears up front!

10. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

that is wicked low!!!!! i have my truck set up nice, with an older diamond with a back drag edge that thing is heavy!! i found my bump stops were not hitting the lower control arm after i did the crank, a solid 3.4 of an inch away.... i took hockey pucks now..... the lower A arm has a circle on it where the factory bump stop hits.. i drilled a hole bolted the puck to the a arm. so now the bump stop is touching the puck/a arm... this did not affect ride. from the factory my truck was hard on the bump stops...raised my front end an inch with the plow up... worked perfect took me half hour to do it and no issues with it.

11. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I found some last year when I was looking. They were crazy expensive though. I'll see if can find again.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I dont think air shocks are the way to go, even if you can find them. Im not sure about how they mount on your truck, but if they are a stud sticking out of the control arm you will run the risk of busting it off with air shocks. The mount for the shocks are designed to allow for a shock that will cushin, not remain stiff. I would strongly suggest timbrens. I was very happy with the results on my jimmy with 31's. It never rubbed again after I installed the timbrens and didnt change the ride. Besides, after you go through the hassle of finding shocks that would work for you, fab up the truck to make them work, it would be easier to just purchase and install timbrens.

14. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Turns out the one's I found were for the 2500's and 3500's.

15. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for all the reply's and info everyone!

I think your right. Timbrens are the way to go. The fact that they don't offer any air shocks for the front kinda tells me that there is a reason for it. Might just be to much force on the shock mounts. Not only that, Air shocks can be expensive, Wow!

I haven't looked at how much timbrens are going to cost, but i'm sure they will be cheaper. Any suggestions on witch timbrens to get before i start a search?

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

www.timbren.com You can find everything you need at their website including a local dealer.

Part # for a 03 sierra 1500 = GMFK15A I just installed the same set in the front of my Yukon, easy install, took no more than a half an hour, the hardest part was removing the shock bolt to give me the extra room I needed. I paid just under $200 for the pair.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  17. RC4X4

RC4X4 Junior Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the Part #!!
    I ordered the same one's from the same place, and they are already here! Hopefully i will get them installed tomorrow and test em out.

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

NO PROBLEM!! That's what we are here for. JUST AN FYI, don't be alarmed if after you install them, they make contact with the control arm all the time (its states that on the back side of the instruction sheet). Mine are always in contact, I think my T-bars are warn because the adjustment bolts are almost all the way turned in but the timbrens still make contact with the control arm. I think you will like them once you put your blade on. Have a great season, Dave

19. mossman381

You might like them with the blade on, but you will not like the ride without the blade. Which is probably 98% of the time you drive. Especially if they are in contact all the time.

20. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Its honestly not that noticable. Seems to ride like a half to 3/4 ton truck now, not a real big deal