1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air shock replacement for wrangler tj

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gunsworth, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Where can I find them? We have a 98 wrangler weve plowed with since we got it and the air shocks that the dealer got us have finally worn out. Supposedly they are discontinued and Ive called everywhere trying to find em. I have found a few companies who make air shocks but they dont have em for the tj, wtf? Well to all you wrangler tj guys what do you use to support the weight?
    BTW The plow is a meyer and I believe its a 6.5

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Try www.shockwarehouse.com They have just about everything related. Even if the mfg doesn't list your TJ, you may be able to cross-reference with another vehicle that uses the same size, travel, and mounting setup. Careful with air shocks though. They do change the driving characteristics quite a bit.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

put a set of bilstien shocks on there tough and mean i use them on a dodge dakota

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Timbrens

Gunsworth, take the air shocks off your truck and install a pair of Timbrem Load Boosters on your Jeep.
    No more problems with leaks or whether you have enough air in them.
    Then you can install a quality shock to keep the tires planted on the road.
    You wouldn't know how you did without them from the beginning.
    :rolleyes: John................

5. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I have used air shocks in the past but they seem to ride too hard.the solution i found was to use air bags inside the coil springs,and they work great!
    They are fairly cheap and easy to install.I think they were about 65$,and i bought them at summit racing.
    If you have any questions you can e-mail me.Good luck!

6. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

We were gonna do that as a last resort but all the air shock companies only make them for other vehicles. So I guess well use the air bags, cant go wrong for 60$. MY dad was just hesitant because of some problems with leaks on our broncoII about 10 years ago, but I figure they are better now. thanks for the help

7. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

I am in the same situation as you are. I just ordered a pair from the Shock shop. I beleive it is www.shockshopusa.com. If nota quick search of the web will pull it up. Mine should arrive an another 2-3 days. Ill let you know how they work out

8. Sndun

Sndun Member

I agree with Garagekeeper.
    I have Timbrens on my TJ. They work great and I never have to worry about air leaks.

9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I also run a 1997 TJ with a Meyer 2 meter and Timbren's up front.
    Stock shocks sucked with the Timbrens, then last month we put on a set of DT3000's and the ride couldn't be better...Timbren's are the way to go for sure.

Michele