1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air schocks

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by cj5fun, Jan 24, 2009.

1. cj5fun

cj5fun Junior Member

I am a new member and find most of the questions pretty interesting and the answers well thought out and very helpful,so maybe you can help me out. I hear you talking about air schocks for the front, sounds like a good idea and was wondering if their is a sight out there I could check out and see if I could maybe find something that would work on my old rig. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

3. cj5fun

cj5fun Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a 72 cj5 with a 6.5 western. I thought I read somewhere on here they worked pretty good. If not whats another way to go, goy any ideas?

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NOT TRUE

The shock mounts are desighned to carry a hefty shock load. I've used air shocks on jeeps for plowing for 23 years and NEVER had a mount fail. My buddy has also used them in his Jeep for 14 years.

5. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

my guess is a CJ5 with a 6 1/2 western <would have> already broken a shock mount with the plow. That is <IF> it has been used and actually pushed some snow. Usually a shock mount will be stressed when the frame is flexed. Are you jumping that thing off a cliff?
    You won't flex it with a plow on

Just wondering how long your plow has been on the jeep?
    How much are you using it?
    And are the leafs sagging? as in...... looky here, I can't see my bumpstops any more.

at Gabrials web site they offer a 5 year warranty on heavy duty air shocks.
    I may buy into that one.

Add up to 1,100-lbs. of carrying capacity
    Stabilize truck and keep it level regardless of load
    Cushion ride and smooth out bumps
    A must when carrying extra loads, hauling or towing. 200 psi maximum air pressure. Diaphragm won't rupture even without air in system. Kink-resistant and leakproof air hose. Heavy-duty 1-3/16" piston. Install easily to OEM positions—no alterations. Extended limited 50-month warranty

--------------
    Good Luck,
    dang I've ben here to long..100?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Air shocks can add about 1,000# of lift to the F end. depends on how much air pressure you put in them. Pump them up for the plow let some air out when you take the plow off. You can even use them to help hook up the plow... if you drive up to mount the plow and your jeep is to low then pump up the shocks until the jeep matches the plow mount.

I've done this about 5 times already. I'll give you the links and with a Little time and pencil and paper you can figure out what you need.

1) Go here Look up the shock for your application. (your current shock) and write down the number
    http://www.monroe.com/catalog/ecatalog.asp

2) Go hear and find your shock (Use the serch put your number in the serch box) write down the compressed length, extended length, top mount style and bottom mount style. http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

3) go down to "Air Shocks" ( use the search) Find an air shock that matches as close to yours as possible.

4) Order the shocks or cross reference to Gabrial Hi-jacker.

7. cj5fun

cj5fun Junior Member

cj5fun

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will get my schock lengths and see what I come up with. The ol jeep has had this plow for about 10 years we don't get all that much snow here but what we get is heavy wet stuff. The springs along with everything else on this jeep has been replaced at least once. Again thanks for the help.

8. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks plowmeister for the info. Finding a match would be more difcult otherwise.

Not saying air springs are a bad idea, but between the two I would go with shocks.

9. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Air springs work great if you have coil springs (which, of course, cj5fun doesn't). They are a bit more difficult to install than air shocks. I use air springs (bags) in the coil springs of my XJ, but air shocks out back. I can easily adjust ride height by 2-3 inches front or rear, as needed. Air springs are available for the rear of an XJ, but cost 3X as much as shocks. I'm glad plowmeister posted his info on selecting shocks. He has done it many times to help out others. I was just about ready to search for it and link it for you.

Fran

10. cj5fun

cj5fun Junior Member

cj5fun

Yup, the Plowmiester is a very knowlegeble guy, his info is what I was looking for. I agree with you that if you have coils bags would be a nice route to go. Thanks again.

11. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

Amen to that. Just ordered a front set of MA 763(orig for rear of 86-95 Taurus) shocks for my 00 wrangler, Thanks to info posted by plowmeister.