1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Pressure when Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dannyc33, Dec 7, 2004.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

I just hooked up my 810 Blizzard Plow to my 04 Ram 2500 and was wondering what you guys would recomend what PSI I should have when towing. I ask this because the front tires are really squished down. On my 98 Ram 1500 the owners manual said to add about 5-10 PSI when towing, but my 2500's manual says nothing about increasing it for towing or plowing. The plow is 950 lbs, and I'll add about 750lbs of weight in the bed too.

I have BF Goodwrench Rugged Terrain T/A LT265-70R17-E tires (Dodge refears to them as ON/OFF Road tires, not the regualar on road all season type)

Also, I just checked the info on the inside of the door and it says I should keep the psi at 60 for the front and 70 in rear..this just doesn't seem right at all!!! Is it???? When I bought it the psi was 35 all around, and the sidewalls of the tires don't say anything in regards to the recomended psi.

Can anyone help me out with this problem, I'll contact my dealer in a day or two, but I really doubt anyone there would honestly know the answer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :bluebounc :waving: ,
    Dan

2. caz1

caz1 Member

you most likely have a 10 ply tire you should be able to run you tires around 60 psi on the front to 70 psi in the rear the most like had 35 psi in the tires for the better ride just make sure that you have 10 ply tires you can tell by looking on the side wall of the tires if it says load range or LR E then it is a 10 ply if it is not an e just count what let it is in the alphabet and times it buy 2 and that will tell you how many ply it is :salute:

3. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

thanks,
    I'll check it out tommorrow, but you are most likely correct.

Should I then add any psi above the 60/70psi when plowing, or just leave it alone???

:drinkup: thanks,
    Dan

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would run at least 70 PSI front with "E" tires because of plow weight and door sticker does not factor in plow at all and unless you are carring a very heavy load in rear, your front will weigh more than rear when transporting especailly if it is a oil burner. I run 70 to 75 in my front tires in wintertime and 60 to 70 in rear depending on load.

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

When I picked up my Chevy 2500 last year the tires were the same as yours at 35psi. I immediately put them to what the door says and it was 60/80.( I think I would have to go check again) go with what you door says and leave it with that. I agree they had it set at the lower for the better ride.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to get exact about needed tire pressure, put truck on a scale with plow on it and weight each axle and it will surprize you.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a Chevy with a 810 on it. 10 ply tires. Front I run 70 psi and rear I have 70 psi. If I didnt have a 2500 pound tank of de-icer in the back I would only run about 55 or 60 psi in the rear. You need to look at the tires again to be sure what rating they are. ALL tires have a load rating and maximum inflation info printed on them.

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Under Pressure

Mine are rated at 44...I run 50

9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

best way to do it is to chalk the one set of tires at a time then drive a few feet on a level concreate or parking lot. Adjust air pressure untill all the tread is making even contact with the roadway. i run about 17lbs up front and 26 in rear with 35 tires though