1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Pressure Problems!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DeereFarmer, Mar 10, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys. I have been noticing that every month or so I have to refill the air in my truck tires (all four of them). I have noticed that some go down faster than others, but about every month I have to fill them back up. Not a real PITA, but annoying none the less! I sprayed some water on the tires and heard air coming through the tires. Traced it back to the outer wheel lips. There is a very, very faint amount of are seeping through where the tire meets the wheel. All the air seeps out around some corrosion on the wheel lips (on all four wheels) Now, I have been thinking about getting newer stock rims for a while now and have located a very good set for next to nothing. Is it time just to bite the bullet and get some new rims? I have brand new Cooper Discoverer M/S tires on there and would really like to take the best possible care of them that I can. I am also tired of plugging $4 into those G.D. air tanks at the gas station!:gunsfiring: Any help is appreciated!

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

You could have you tires demounted and clean the rims up... But if you can get a set in good shape for cheap, thats probably the best bet.

Ivan

3. DeereFarmer

I've got an in on a set four 2005 Chevy Z71 takeoffs with 400 miles on the rims. No tires (my tires will fit and have no mileage on them), all center caps, and all but one lug nut SHIPPED to my door for $200. Can't beat that! Thanks!:waving:

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

New valve stems? where they replaced with the cheep ones?
    Try putting new valve core in them. Make sure the air you use to fill the tire is dry. Any moisture in the winter can freeze the valve open and it will leak.

5. DeereFarmer

Brand new good valve stems on there and I have had them checked. The air is leaking where the wheel lips meet the tires.

6. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

it is known as a bead leak, if you keep the wheels, dismount the tires, clean up the bead area of the rim, remount the tires and use bead sealant. Alloy wheels are notorious for developing beaks leaks. So you may see the same thing on the new wheels after awhile.

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

the seals around the bead are probably dry...have them re-mounted and tell them to use a bead sealer. Its like a tar the prevents air from escaping between the rim and the tire bead

8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

whoops....didnt read the post above...my fault

9. DeereFarmer

I am going with the newer wheels, just can't beat the price. Will do if it happens again. Thanks guys!:)

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would suggest they use bead sealent on the new rims too. Steel rims rust from the moisture and the rust causes the leaks. Alloy corrodes causing leaks and get's scratched from use and from mounting /dismounting tires.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Salt can get wedged in between the bead and rim. If you ever catch yourself running on a low tire or brushing against a curb hard, it might be a good idea to break the bead and clean it out. Probaby not a bad idea as annual maintenance if you have expensive wheels, before the get corroded.

12. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the advice guys. I was planning on putting the bead sealant on the new wheels as well just as an extra precaution. Never can be too careful!