1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air pressure in E rated tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Dec 5, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I upgraded from D rated tires to E rated and now the truck hits bumps like a tank. Can I use the chaulk method or is there a better way. The truck is a 1995 F250 with western pro plow 4 spring set up with mega scoops. The scoops add 120 lbs to the plow. I have 700lbs of tube sand in the bed and a 85 lb snow blower.

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

im running 75 front and 82 rear

3. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

65 in mine.

4. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I run 70 in mine

5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I run 70 in mine, front and back.

6. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys but at those air prussures dont bumps knock your teeth out? I checked this morning and I had 63 psi in all 4 with outside temp at 29 degress. I really dont want to add air because of the ride.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

E tires are rated at (Single 80 psi max) ... Run less with the plow off maybe 50-55-60 psi.. They ride better... With plow on I would run close to max...More support. better for side wall less flexing...

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i run 80 all around. holds the truck, plow and salter well.

9. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I run 70 - 80 all the way around. I've tried to run less but the tires flex too much. I'm running a 7.5 western with around 1000 # of ballast because my 83 is a flatbed so it's really light in a$$ end. Remember it's a truck. IMO Too many people (mostly yuppies) have complained about trucks ride & that has brought on the pu$$ification of todays modern truck. I was in a plow dealership yesterday & when they raised the 8' Boss blade on a BRAND new Ram HD with a cummins in it the whole front end dropped about 4 inches...

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Not if you are driving a Chevy. I run around 65PSI in mine and it rides just fine!

Mike

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

most are 65-80psi... run 80 if your gonna max them out though or close to it especially driving any highway you want it at 80.

if your driving slow, any off road, very cold out maybe 70 would do... your max lb rating comes from your max 80psi

12. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

How about your shocks? I just put 4 new shocks on my 97 F350 and I can't believe how much better that truck rides. BTW 65psi up front and 75psi in the rear.

13. Premier

Premier Senior Member

i run ours at 80, had that problem on a 95 chevy i had, and on a 92 we still have, junked the stock shocks and put on some rancho 5000's well worth the money and fixed the problem.

14. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have had the truck 3 years and plowed with it all 3 so I know how the truck rides. I will check front shocks but they are only 2 years old. Maybe plowing killed them but thet are best ones I could get from Napa.

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

75 to 80PSI front (75 w/o plow, 80 with), 80PSI rear

16. prostk2

prostk2 Member

1998 GMC K2500
    with plow Frt-70 rear 80 with salt
    without plow and no salt
    frt 60 rear 65
    If truck does not have weight in the back and I go over 65 the full width of the tire won't hit the pavement

17. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

:nod: I coudn't of said it any better....I miss my old F-450 flatbed with straight front axle 4x2...I had a 9' Fisher with turkey wings & when I raised the plow it dropped a 1/2".....All these people who bi%#h about the ride never drove a real truck....

18. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

80 plowing 65/70 rest of year

19. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Well 70/75 psi worked and it actually rides better. Maybe I thought the ride sucked because the tires were bouncing a little from being under inflated(60psi). I have not driven a truck over 3/4 ton so no I dont know what they feel like. Thanks for all the help guys.

20. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

when i don't have the plow on, I do 55 in the front, and 70 in the back. with plow on its 70 all around.