1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Pressure In 10 Plys With No Load

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Dec 9, 2004.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I just installed 235/75/16 10 ply tires and max air rating is 80 psi. Are you guys running that high without the load ? What pressure did you bring it down to. Besides it feeling like your sitting on a moving rock, is it ok to leave it at the max ?

2. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

I run mine at 65 most of the time

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Tire pressure

I've always run my load E's at 80 PSI, Except when I went on the sand in the OuterBanx then I dropped them down to 20 PSI. After I had been to the dealer one time some moron set them at 55 PSI and I did not realize it until much later and I noticed the tires wearing funny. Sooooo, if I were you put'em at 80 PSI.

4. danno

danno Senior Member

So you think running them lower without a load would wear more?

5. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

really not a good idea to run at max psi with no load, tires will wear in the middle

6. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I run mine @ 60 all the way around. I've been told that GM has to suggest max psi to cover their liability, and they have to assume that the tire will be used to it's maximum capacity. 80 psi is just way to hard of a ride.. I'll take more wear as a compromise for better ride quality. Unless you're towing a fifth wheel or heavy trailer, I'd experiment around 50 - 60 psi and see what works best with your truck.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I think 60 psi. is a good compromise between ride and load ability. Works for me.

8. danno

danno Senior Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

9. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I keep the rears at 50 PSI so they wear even and last longer.
    The fronts at 60-65 PSI is good. Then I raise them to 75-80 PSI with the blade on.