1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air or new coils on a f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by picknick15, Sep 11, 2009.

1. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

I was thinking about putting air assist bags on the front and back but the dealer said that they needed an on board air system, and all this with a 2.5 leveling kit was 1350 installed, I was just wondering if I could just add a bigger spring in the front with the leveling kit to make it cheeper and easier. Also is the ride the same if I add a bigger spring.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming this is on an 05 or newer since you mentioned coils? You can buy heavier coils from the Ford dealer, they're relatively inexpensive ($30 each on mine), and they go all the way up to 7000lb rating. The air bags for the front of these coil spring trucks are dirt cheap, only $75 for the pair, but I'm not sure how they'd work with your leveling kit since they go inside the coils, and the air line comes out the top of the spring perch. The air bags for the fronts add 1000lbs of capacity, and are nice for adjustability, but they're not enough if you have a big plow, I did both upgraded coils and air bags on mine, and it carries the Blizzard 8611lp nicely.

Rear air bags are generally a kit with a bracket on either side off the frame, and a bracket on top of the leaf pack, and the air spring sits between the 2. As I recall, the kit was around $250.

For air, I used the Firestone Air Command system with a 1/2 gallon tank, gauge, and air hose for filling tires. I also added a second gauge and valve for the front air springs. I set it up with the dual gauge for the rear with independent valves, and tied the fronts together on a single gauge and valve. All told I was into the on board air system for about $500.

The on board air sure is nice for adjustability. I need less than 30psi in the rears with an unloaded spreader, but pump 'em up to 100psi when loading the spreader. The bags keep the truck up near stock unloaded height, even when loaded heavy, nice to not have the tail dragging with a full spreader... :) Only thing I'd do differently is a larger tank, because 1/2 gallon gets depleted real quick when filling trailer tires, and you have to wait for the pump to recover, plus fill the tires... 1/2 gallon is plenty if all you're using it for is air bags.

3. picknick15

picknick15 Junior Member

I plan on putting an 8.5 western mvp plus is the upgraded coil going to be enough.

4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Upgrading the coils would be more than enough to hold that mvp. Would the ride be different? I am not sure. If you plan on something like a salter in the back, you can run rear Timbrens or go the air route.

5. kron35s

kron35s Junior Member
    from va

You will be fine with upgraded springs. I run a 9ft pro plus and it does fine with no weight at all in the back.

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. I'd still run plenty of ballast though, makes the truck handle and plow so much better...

7. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I run the 7000lb coils on my 07 F-350 and 9'2" Boss Power-V XT. Barely squats. I normally have 700lbs or so right inside the tailgate.

Going to add load assist bags inside the coils for this winter simply since I'm running bigger meats and don't need to reshape my fenders. You DO NOT need on board air to run load assist bags. Just run the fill valves somewhere easy to get to and fill them up.
    On board air would be nice....but not a must.

8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

listen to dc special.......his set up is the best by far...he knows his stuff...

his truck i have seen in person...its very nicely done. works great..

9. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

What size coils does a 06 F250 with the plow prep package come with...6K? How much would another set of coils be?

10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

My 07 with the plow package came with 6000lb coils. Can't remember on the coils.....I think it was under $150 for the pair.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I just put AirLift bags on the back of my GM 2500. Should have done it two years ago. No impact to ride quality when empty and aired down.