1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Lift air bag system with onboard compressor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Nov 11, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Thinking about getting the Air Lift airbags with the onboard compressor and wireless controller. It's about 720.00 for parts, which isn't too bad if it's a good system. Need to get rid of that sag in the rear when the spreader's full. Anybody use this system? Good review or bad? Thanks for your opinions.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Never used a wireless controlled, however the hard wired versions work very well. Check out Firestone and Hellwig bags, they're also a good system according to friends that run them.

3. JustJeff

Thanks Buff. I'll check out those other two now.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have the Firestone and have no complaints, I have replaced the compressor once and am close to doing it again on a 10 year old system. I probably won't ever go without one on a truck again.
    I also have the front air shocks plumbed into the system for when I have the plow on.

5. JustJeff

I've looked at the Firestone brand as well, and like the looks of it. I just didn't see an option from them for a wireless controller. I like the idea of wireless so I don't have to drill through the firewall, or have messy wires running through the cab.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Check if your truck has cab vents between the bed and cab. That allowed me to do the wiring for my lights in my old truck without drilling. Ran all my wiring from the dash (switch box) to the sill plates on bottoms of doors and out through the cab vents.

Wasn't to hard but it does take a little work to find them from the inside, and you have to remove rear sears to make it so you can get to them.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wireless.... Just something else to lose.

I have Firestone, same set in 5 trucks now. Never got around to installing AC on this one.

8. JustJeff

Pat, what's AC?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Air compressor

10. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

I have air lifts on my 89F250 and my 2014 150. I LOVE THEM! I just plumbed mine to the licenses plate bracket and fill them there. Check out SD truck springs. I only paid like $275 shipped after rebate I think and they are easy to install. I check the air in mine every couple of weeks. On my 150 I just leave them aired up. on the 250 it rides like a log wagon so I leave them at 10-15 psi unless its loaded.

Z

11. JustJeff

Thanks for your opinion. I think I'm going with the wireless which has three memory settings. I'll set 1 to "full spreader", 2 to "half full", and 3 to empty. Depending on any negative feedback I might read here in the next few days.

12. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

No problem. I put a set on my buddies 2002 2500 and he loves them as well. He likes to leave them aired down unless he's using them. It's funny when I go to get fert or salt the guys always comment that my truck doesn't budge and even stock 250's/2500's sag with 2500lbs laid in the bed.

13. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

i have 2 sets of firestone air bags in 2500hd chevys. 2000 and 2004. I fill to 80 when loaded and 15 when unloaded. Makes the 2004 ride alot smoother with these. Takes the bounce out of the truck when unloaded. I dont have the ac but it would be nice . Couldnt justify the extra money at the time. If u got the money then i would get it . Think i got them at Summit racing. Simple install ,maybe an hour.

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at this too for my F250 superduty. However I always do stuff that is not of the normal. There is the kit 2550 with brackets and the basic install. I know I could just buy air bags separate and build custom brackets but I doubt it would be worth it as it is not a one off chassis or something. Anyway, here is where I get different but simple. I already have an on board air set up and pretty big tank I got a long time ago from the train horn people. This is all mounted in my alum side runner tool box along with my hydraulic pump set up for my dump bed. I am just going to get a 3 way air valve for 24 bucks and a few fittings for the firestone air lines. Then just get a basic center off switch and there will be an air gauge mounted somewhere. The compressor is already wired for auto shut off with an override manual on off switch too. So all I would need to do it run the wires to the momentary switch for the 3 way air valve into the cab. Not a real big deal as there is already a harness that goes through the floor behind the seat. There is a factor hole with a grommet in these trucks. So I figure about 50 more bucks than the basic kit, however I already have a compressor and tank.