1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rick74, Oct 19, 2010.

1. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

I have a 2006 2500 hd, once a week or so my dash will say tighten fuel cap and my check engine light comes on. I tried replacing the fuel cap, that did nothing. Had a computer on it and it said air leak. Truck seems to drive fine. What should I be looking for? A hose? Thanks for your help.

2. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

rick, having a brain fart here, cant think of proper name. it is on top of gas tank. looks like an external air filter. 1/2 inch breather hose's connected. replace it. evaporator? dealer will know.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Search "EVAP" here, it's all over the place. :salute:

4. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

depends weither it sticks in the open or closed position.

6. brad96z28

I change thes all the time I also throw the instruction in the trash when i get a new one Out of the 50 or so that ive changed Ive have never ever seen one with debris in it . I have always re routed them up by the filler neck Although the stock location was never a problem just another pos part that often electronicly fails. Never ever seen one have dirt or charcoal in it yet.

7. QuadRacer041

Where on the truck are these parts located?
    Why do u through the instuctions in the trash? When you say u never seen debris in it what are you talking about, the charcol canister doesnt need to be blown out?

8. brad96z28

Ive never blown one out and Ive nevver had one come back. Usually there located in the front of the tank Looks like a square box If u have the original design with the filter attached to the valve. there should be one hose on it and a connector with 2 wires. I throw the instructions in the trash because its a buncs of bs and completely unnessary. I have even put the new valve back in with the old filter and have never had a problem and never will.

9. QuadRacer041

Replaced it today. It was round and mounted to the rear of the tank. It took me for ever to find when it was right in front of me. Every place I looked online said it was mounted in a different place. only way I figured it out was by seeing the new one. Once I knew where it was it was a piece of cake. Cleared all the codes now just need to wait till it runs the test again.