1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air in the system???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jay brown, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i hooked the western up to the truck for the first time this year. everything worked fine as i tried everything out. then everything slowed way down and hardley moved. i filled the pump with fluid. the pump motor is running as it should, but L and R is very very slow and it wont go up for the most part. the cylinders may have leaked a little over the summer.... is this air in the system? if so what is the remedy?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What style of plow Jay? (Uni Ultra Cable).. If it was low on fluid, the pump probably cavitated from the low fluid level and simply aerated what fluid was left in there..top it off and let it set, preferably over night to let the air work it's way out of the fluid and give it another try..

3. Jay brown

it's a uni mount probably the same year as the truck (2000). tried it again today and still the same....how much should i run the pump motor with no cylindar action??

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it sound like the pump is dead heading against the relief valve? If so then you have a valve, or more likely an electrical problem..check the grill connectors first,

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could have sucked a load of crap into the filter. They clog and restrict the fluid flow creating slow functions. Kinda fits the sudden change in performance. Maybe the new fluid was incompatible with the existing an jelled..

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Did you put western blue plow fluid or red tranny fluid? Because Unimounts require red tranny fluid. Unless you do a complete system flush twice with blue plow fluid. Mixing the two aren't really a good idea.

7. Jay brown

i let it sit a week now and still doesn't work.
    where is the filter on a western? do i have to take the motor off? seems to lift better when you cycle the motor on for 2-3 seconds, stop 2-3 seconds, and it'll raise a good 1/2" the next time you cycle 2-3 seconds.

8. Jay brown

i put western "blue" in it....not sure what it had before

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you may have to top off the fluid 2-3 times

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the fluid is free of air and it's full..then either the filter is plugged up (dirt, sludge or contamination of the system from multiple fluid types) or the spring is broken in the relief valve.. The filter is on the gear pump itself, you'll need to pull the motor off to get to it..the relief valve is also in the gear pump. I'd highly recommend getting a pressure gage on it and see what kind of pump pressure it has..you want to see about 1800psi. If it's much under 1200psi it wont want to lift very good..

11. itsgottobegreen

Ok Unhook all the hydro lines and take the pump off the truck. Remove pump motor, becareful to not to ripe the cork gasket. Turn pump up side down. Drain fluid. Spray down with brake cleaner. Drain fluid. Reinstall pump and lines. Fill with fluid. Run pump for 10 mins. Drain pump from bottem plug. Refill.

You mixed two fluids that don't get along real well. Which is why its has clogged up.

12. Jay brown

what kind of fluid would you run in the western? i checked the our new western and it had red fluid. i run a semi clear fluid in the meyer units. in MILL Supply they are showing a "high preformance" ( i think this is the blue i put in) and they are showing a "transmission fluid" in the Western section.

13. itsgottobegreen

U can run both. But when I do a fluid change. I put what ever was color fluid back in it. Almost all Unimounts came with RED TRANNY. Early ultramounts where RED TRANNY. Most unless your dealer is still in the dark ages, most new Ultramounts run BLUE.

It really doesn't matter which one you use. I personally would run blue, but you have to do a complete system flush inorder to do so.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dealers fill western pumps they don't come filled from the factory and western doesn't supply fluid. Lot's of dealers would rather spend $2@qt for tans fluid then $7/9@qt on the good stuff

The Hi performance fluids will run in any unit. It'll draw fewer amps, run faster and extend pump life. They also contain lubricants, anti foaming agents and de-icers Trans fluid doesn't contain.

You have to remove all the fluid. use IGBG's method if you don't have a evacuater (vacuum suction system.) after draining the first time fill with MEYER HYDRA-FLUSH. Run it though a few cycles then drain and refill with Premium (Hi Performance) fluid.

There must be 1000 posts on this subject. If you do a search under Trans fluid or Hi performance fluid you should have hours of reading:waving:

15. Jay brown

thanks everyone, it worked!!!!! BTW i know i could have done a search(problably skip searching PS and do a Google), but then we wouldn't need this site and people with info would not be able to share it. thanks again........jay