1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air in the lines??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJC, Dec 22, 2009.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 1990-ish western 7 1/2 standard duty plow and I just changed the packing in one cylinder. Now the plow is going slow and chatters but I can't seem to get the air out of it. I filled it with fluid on top but I can't get the plug out of the side. What else can I try?? Thanks for any info....

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Allow a few hours for it to set idle so the aerated fluid can settle. Then simply top it off and cylcle it a few times. Should be fine then.

3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thanks I will give it a try again tomorrow morning

4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Well I let it set all night and topped it off this morning and its still going very slow. I don't know much about western plows so any ideas on what to try next ???

5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I just got it figured out............. it was the filter that was plugged.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lack of preventative maintenance will do that every time. Much of what you found on the filter probably came from the old packing's.

7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Ya this was a truck that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Its by back-up truck and I have not even had a chance to plow with it yet.