1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air in system?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mackinaw1, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Mackinaw1

Mackinaw1 Junior Member

I have a western uni-mount on a 93 GMC 4x4
    the plow was working fine till last week..
    I droped it and it wouldnt come up..
    I jacked it up and moved the chain so I could get it home
    It was very low on fluid..after adding about a pint it started to work.
    Then I went back out and the plow would not lift, it angled right even when I had it to angel left...
    thanks for your time

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A pint of oil is not the difference of working or not. I think its a controller problem

3. Mackinaw1

Mackinaw1 Junior Member

Thanks for your reply....
    When you said "controller"did you mean the switch in the cab or the solenoid for the plow

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Most likely the switch Possible its a short in the wiring. Going right when you give it left sounds like the signal is getting mixed up between what you finger pushes and the plow does.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure your quick connects on the hose's are fully seated.( on older Meyer setup's) Check the level of fluid again. The fluid can have a lot of foam / air still in it. Does the pump run every-time you try to change the plow's position? Make sure all the grounds are good and clean.

6. Mackinaw1

Mackinaw1 Junior Member

It sounds like it is working but nothing moves
    I bought a new solenoid but I will check everything you said before I put it on
    Thank You

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Save the old one if it does not fix the problem. It can save you when you can't get one at 3am some morning. Did you try posting the question in the Meyer Forum?

8. Proplower85

Proplower85 Junior Member
    from NH

Check your fluid level again. Make sure it didn't leak out. Fill the pump.. if that doesn't work check your controller listen for the pump to activate. check for power at your solenoid and sometimes the valve body freezes in cold weather. Hope this helps.