1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air in pump????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TTBoy77, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

It has been brutally cold here in WI the past couple days (-15 to -25 air temps) and my unimount (7'6" pro-plow) is slow. Wouldn't be bad, but after cycling it a couple times (when I am able to do it), it barely moves in any direction. I have changed the fluid and replaced with a quality plow oil 3 times this year already!!! Now, when I finally do get the blade all the way up, as I drive down the road, my lift ram seems to "float". Ever hear of this?? My guess is that I have a bad gasket between motor and the housing and that I am getting moisture. But that whole lift ram "floating" seems odd. Is the pump full of air? I am stumped. Any ideas??:dizzy:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

when you changed the oil did you push the lift ram all the way down? did you unhook the hoses and drain the angle rams? did you take the motor of and clean the filter on the pump? after refilling with oil you need to angle the plow several times before lifting the plow. if not, its possible the lift ram has air in it.

put the plow down and push the lift ram all the way down. push on the lift chain with your foot and it will go down. lift, down,lift,down. should be good after that.

3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

YES to all your questions. i did it EXACTLY like the manual says.

4. no lead

is the plow better?

5. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

6. no lead

pull the motor off. gasket NEW? pull the pump out. filter clean? wiggle the pump shaft back and forth, any movement? does the top 2/3's of pump shaft look burned/blued? pump turn smooth? plow oil not ATF right?
    does it squeel and not hum?

7. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

After a half-hour of heat with my shop lights, the dam thing works fine. My guess is moisture. I will be getting (or making) a new gasket and hope that helps.

no lead: the filter has been relatively clean every time, no movement on the pump shaft, it's not blued and turns smooth. As stated in the first post, YES I always use quality plow oil...NEVER ATF.