1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air in PTO

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rick17, Dec 12, 2009.

1. rick17

rick17 Junior Member
    from MN

I have a front mount chelsea 450 pto (runs off the engine shaft it an old city plow/sander). A couple of days ago my guys had a hose leak in the spreader and they lost about 15 gallons and didn't know it until the plow wouldn't raise anymore. Now nothing works, I can feel in the plow controls the lever is free moving, the dump feels solid but wont raise. I think I have air locked the pto, any tips on how to repair? I have loosed fittings on the plow to try to push out air, but the nothing with come out.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is a bumper mount pump, driven off the front of the engine? Can you crack the hi pressure hose fitting to get it to pull? Or fill the pump through that fitting?

3. rick17

rick17 Junior Member
    from MN

I will try to crack it. I can fill it from near the top through a square allen wrench plug. It doesn't take much, but after I work the controls it leaks out foamy fluid.

Thanks

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I can't be much more help. I don't have much experience with them. I do know from recent experience however, it takes a long time to clean out a hydro system once it's contaminated though. I got some water in my skidsteer hydro system. Three fluid changes and it's mostly out. One change I actually pulled all the cylinders and hoses I could get to and drained/blew them out. Your problem seems to be air - unless you sucked in some water somewhere - it will come out over time, but the foam has coated the insides of everything. Keep it overfilled till it goes clear.