1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air horn freezing?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SKYNYRD, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i have a hadley air horn on my truck. works fine on the coldest of days. it works fine as long as it's not snowing. if it's snowing more often than not it will only let out a very tiny "toot" almost sounds like a squeek it's so soft. at first i thought just the snow clogged trumpets were to blame but sometimes even after the trumpets are cleared it still wont work right. could something be freezing inside the horn? any suggestions on how to fix this? it's one of the units with the seperate compressor so there's no need to hook it into a truck's air system. any suggestions are very welcome, thanks in advance :salute:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Spray it real good with Fluid Film.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most truck places sell socks for the front of the horn to stop snow from going in. You need to measure the diameter of your horns and get the right size sock. The socks can be plastic or stainless.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

spray the inside of the horns with the FF right? i still have some of my free sample left. next time the horn is working i'll do it :)

thanks for the sock info!

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Your problem is that you dont have them angled right. they are suppose to be on lower in the front so they drain out. If you blow them before you park them once a day when its cold it will help with pushing moisture out. But that is common issue with air horns. Thats why alot of people put under hood now. The motor warms them up

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

thanks for the tip! i'm sorry i didn't post my question sooner. at least i know what's wrong now and how to fix it. thanks again to everyone :salute:

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is there a spot to put so isopropal in the air tank? Add a splash if there is. This should take care of the moisture.

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

never heard of that stuff. where could i get it? i don't have any truck stops near me. i can get inside the tank by removing the pressure gauge :)

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Local gas station should have. Its a little red bottle usually you put it in a gas tank. Don't use a lot just a cap full or so. Might be under brand name Heat or Heet

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

ah so it's like a form of dry gas then. thanks for the tip! really appreciatte it :)

11. BigDave12768

That wouldnt help at all. Your freezing up on the roof. If you want the most simple way to fix it. Drill a tiny hole in the cover that goes over horn. Take a top of WD -40 can or that liquid wrench stufff. Buy a can of that preston De-ice stuff for windshield. Change the tops. Use the straw end and spray into to horn. That will take care of ice that s blocking air from coming in. Should only take about 15 seconds to brek it up. then blow horns to clear it out. Also that moisture is going to cause hons to rot out.

He is just talking about dry gas. One other thing I think WD-40 disperses water but not sure it can break down ice

12. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

if i'm not mistaking i believe there's only 2 scres holding that cover on. maybe in the next warm day i'll take it off and spray it down with fluid film. for all i know maybe the gasket is dry rotted and that's causing amoistur leak. i'm just so glad i decided to post about it on her. thanks for you input!

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

What the isopropl will do is absorb any moisture in the air tank and air lines. It will also "eat" the ice in the lines and horn. We did this on all our trucks that did not run the air lines through the air dryer. You may consider running a line to the air tank from the dryer if you have one.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your right I guess my new trucks come from the factory with the airhorns installed wrong.:rolleyes: When it's snowing heavy my airhorns will stop working in minutes and then after staying in the shop overnight they start working again. I'm actually going to chang out the horns for the more expensive ones that come with stainless socks like my tandem tractor, that way they will always work no matter how hard it's snowing. BTW I see lots of big trucks with air horns under the hood.:rolleyes:

15. BigDave12768

They probably do. the directions clearly state when installing them to have them at an downward angle to drain out moisture. Do you have a Hadley truck?:dizzy: BTW I see plenty under the hood also:gunsfiring:

Hmm i wonder what the FIRST LINE OF INSTRUCTIONS SAYS

1. For best results mount horn in an unobstructed opening for sound to carry
    straight ahead. If possible mount with a slight downward angle to allow
    moisture to drain from horn.

Hmm I am trying to think who I knew who had problems with this :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  16. BigDave12768

Oh yeahI remember how to fix issue. Mount the Holding tank in your truck so even if it does freeze it will dethaw quickly inside the truck. Most installer put under back seat.

Oh and the under hood ones I am talking about are those self contained units.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

18. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

thanks for all the advice everyone!