1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air flow question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by greenjack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

I have a MM2 7.5 on a 03 chevy 2500 hd and I am having a air flow problem because my truck likes to over heat even when my plow is raised 2 inches off the ground while driving. My question was is there something you can put on the fisher plow to let more air flow get to the radiator?

thanks

2. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

how hot does it get, does it overheat or does it just run like 220. i have the same plow on a 2000 1500 serria and it runs a little hotter but only like 10- 15 degrees hotter it will run like 220 in the city

3. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

It starts flashing "engine coolant hot" then "engine overheated".

4. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

This will sound crazy but try lifting the plow higher, like to the top and see if the temps drop. one of my trucks with a western unimount will get hot carrying the plow low but will cool off if you raise it. The only reason for I can see is that with it low, its pushing all the air up over your hood and not through your grill but with it high the air that comes under the plow ends up getting up through the grill. Call me crazy if you want!!!:dizzy:

5. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

I had a similar problem and after reading a few threads here on plowsite I found out about a fan clutch upgrade alot of people had done. Im not sure what the part number was but you could probably do a search and find it. Had my fan clutch replaced this fall but no snow yet to see if it works.

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I think they make an air deflector that change the airflow of the top of your plow

7. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

do you angle your plow or keep it straight i would think angled would allow more airflow

8. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

I have tried both but I am going to try what fatboypoolboy said and raise it all the way up and see if it works out.

I heard that puting a snow deflector on would change the airflow over the plow what do you guys think?

9. BigDave12768

Ok I am not sure if they make one for a fisher. But maybe with a can of Yellow paint and little know how, You could make it work

[​IMG]

10. BigDave12768

He is right raising the plow higher lets more air in. BUT this only works if the person that installed your plow didn't remove your air damm. The air damm is that black piece of plastic that is under your bumper. Some places remove it. Others cut notches in it. So even though you are blocking your grill. Your air damm would be doing its job of shoving air onto the radiator. So if it is missing you shouid replace it

11. BigDave12768

A snow deflector will not help. But what you really might also want to try is. Go down to the local self serve car wash and blast out the radiator. It could be clogged with bugs and dirt.

12. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

clutch fan upgrade had it done to my 03 - 05 2500hd no problem after that

13. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

do you mean get a more heavier duty clutch fan?

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You have a cooling system problem in its early stages that you need to fix. Do the fan clutch fix and you'll be good to go. You should be able to pull enough air through the grill even with the plow there to keep your truck running properly.

15. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Greenjack, if raising it doesn't work for you and you know your colling system is all up to par then make yourself a simple air deflector that attaches to the lift arm. I took a peice of poly from an distroyed meyers poly plow (thats another story i care to forget!) and cut it like this ____________ widest part to the front of truck and attached to the lift arm as
    \ /
    \ /
    | |
    |__________|
    far back on the arm as not to interfear with it moving up and down. I attached it with two square U bolts through the poly and around the lift arm so you don't even have to drill any holes in the lift arm. Keep your lights in mind when attaching it to the lift arm so that it doesn't hit them when raising plow. This worked well for me. I'd take some pictures for you but I don't have the deflector here but I'lll get it in the next couple of days.:D

16. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Sorry my little drawing didn't work out :dizzy: :dizzy:

17. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

get the heavier fan and you will be all set no over heating sense that was done

18. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

Is the fan clutch something that can be easily fixed or is it something for the dealer to fix?

19. BigDave12768

Easy if you have the correct tools. Mine blew on my old truck last year. It's simple to do if you have an air chisle to knock it loose. If not you will need to borrow the tools to remove it and its reverse thread

20. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

I am going to do the fan clutch, just dont know when I will get to it.

thank you and I appreciate the help