1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air filter spec's question.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kgb, Feb 8, 2006.

1. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Does anyone have spec's on air filters (air flow, filtration)
    I'm debating which one to get, K&n or Green or others...
    I was looking on the web to compare, but can't find any data or independent study, don't know whom to trust....
    Thanx!

05 Cummins
    96 Cummins
    Boss V.
    Meyers 7.5

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Thanx for replay!
    WOW! I think, I better stay with stock paper filter...
    Do you know if anyone tested "Green" filters, wandering on their filtration?

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Maybe a little fishy the winning filter is a GM product and the truck used is a GM product.Were was the test done area 51 :D

5. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Well, I know that K&N were not the greatest ones on filtration, there was another independent study done (I seen It on the web, but can't find anymore)....
    I got new truck and want to improve MPG without killing it...., and same time save some $ down the road- reg. filters not that cheap either for Cummins...
    Would it make sence to attach microfilter in the front of reusable one, just like they do on stock filters, just to get better filtration?

6. Seamus

Seamus Member

If you want to see a good study on filters look for bobistheoilguy.com. It would not make sense to put any type of prefilter with a high flow filter. If you did you would just be decreasing the air flow, then what would be the sense of changing to a high flow filter in the first place? I'm pretty sure there are many computer modifications that can be purchased that can increase horsepower and/or efficiency. Good luck!
    Seamus

7. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Looks like another no to K&N. As far as chip/computer, I don't want my warranty to go down south if something happens, it was the main reason i got '05 with 7/70, on '06 they went to 3/36.
    Still trying to research on Green's.
    Thanx!

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Go to dodgeram.org or dieseltruckresource.com and search there.

K&N are ok, not the best, but better than the stock filter. The major concerns are the oil being sucked from the filter into the intake- It happened on my Ram- and I did not over oil the filter. I was suspect about the rumers until I pulled the intake hose off and saw the oil on my turbo impeller. The AFG is what I have seen referred to as the best. It's the same basic thing only better. THere are many alturnatives- like certain stock filters with prefilters that do as good a job filtering with better airflow, removing the airbox and connecting a big semi canister filter directly to the air intake is a popular one too. Gives you all the airflow of a cold air kit cheaper! (I think they called it the BFF or BAF filter mod)

If you're running stock truck, bone stock, the filter is a minor issue- the stock truck power level will NEVER move the filter minder and I have run over a year on a stock filter before it really needed to be changed- still no filter minder movement.

9. Seamus

Seamus Member

Just to give a real life experience. I have a K&N CAI on my 95 Nissan and have had no problems thus far. I have put in bigger cams, headers, high flow cat, and a performance muffler. With these alterations, having a free breathing engine is great. I also put in a K&N drop-in to replace the stock filter in my wife's Jetta TDI(turbo diesel, in case you did not know TDI) for about a year as well and have not had any problems there either. And for the record, TDI's have a wicked sensitive MAF sensor, and still no problems from the K&N. I'm not trying to push K&N, just letting you know my experience. By the way, what did you think of bobistheoilguy.com? Good luck!
    Seamus

10. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Actually, I'm still using bone stock filter with their spongy prefilter (micro?). I just turn 5kMi on her and that filter minder DID move few times, after I step on her ...feels good to feel some power after '96 doggie, but I still love her, she was good to me so as her MPG!
    As far as the web side, Lots of good info about oil, but I still like Rotella when it comes to it!

I hope it will snow tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Just to be said- there is a big difference in the boost and air flow requirements from a non turbo engine and a turbo engine, and the same to be said between a big diesel, like a Cummins B series, and a small diesel, like the TDI. I have never heard of any gas or non turbo engine having any issues with K&N filters.I have I seen or heard anything at all on the smaller displacement diesels. It seems to be only the large drawing, deep breathers, (big displacement) that report it.

Seamus, when you get a chance you might want to pull the air intake hose off the front of the turbo in the TDI and look at the impellers for oil residue. Better to be safe than sorry.

12. Seamus

Seamus Member

Funny thing is, just recently, Novemeber to be exact, I had the whole intake system apart. The Jetta TDI is known to get the intake clogged up and it causes a bad pressure reading right after the intercooler and causes the turbo not to work. During that time I had every thing apart from the air box back for a good cleaning. Nothing but the usual clogged manifold. If anything the MAF would have made me aware of any problem right away. Thanks for the heads up.
    Seamus