1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air filter change reminder.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Do these things actually work? Has anyone ever seen it move? The one on my 98 K1500 that I bought new has never moved. I was just wondering if it was just a gimmick. Thanks.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Never seen mine move. I would imagine that your filter would have to be really clogged to make it move.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I always push to test those things. I don't think I've ever seen one NOT working ;)
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do they work? Technically yes they do, but the truck will notify you before hand with poor MPG's and lost performance long before the filter mind will...so don't count on it to let you know ahead of time.
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks, I was just curious. Everyone that I've asked that owns a later model chevy truck has never saw their's move either. I usually don't let my filter get that dirty before I change it anyway.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I am sure B&B remembers like I do in the old days they used to say change the filter every other oil change. Changing it every oil change is cheap insurance back then. I would really be bummed if the filter minder said the filter was done 1/2 way thru a mileage cycle!
    That could be trouble.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope I'm afraid you've got me on that one Micki. :D However I well recall the days were you only needed to remove a single wing nut to get at the filter for inspection. :drinkup:
  8. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I feel stupid asking this but what the hell is a Air filter change reminder?

Where is it if in fact I have one on my 98 GMC K1500 Sierra?:(
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's nothing more than a spring loaded vacuum gage located that reads excessive intake restriction on the clean side of the airbox when the filter becomes too restricted but are useless for the most part (hence Wayne's original question in this thread).

And yes your '98 should have one.

10. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Hell, I thought it was going to be a light on the dash or some other goofy thing. Not that this isn't goofy enough.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe they need to be redesigned so they work like they are suppose to !!!!!!!!!!!