1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air filter and tranny question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HereToLearn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I can't seem to get my air filter cover off to replace it. What am I over looking?

My transmission is slipping and/or slowing shifting. It also hesitates when going from drive to reverse and vise versa.

It's a 94 Ram 2500. Thanks

Truck111.jpg

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I cannot say on your filter without seing it but judging by picture you have truck raised a bit with oversized tires and if you have no aux cooler on it it may have reached the end of its service life and in need of a overhaul (ten years is not that bad really with over sized rubber)

3. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

The truck doesn't have a lift at all, only a tow package and bigger tires. It's pushing about 147,000 miles. What exactly is an overhaul?

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

To remove the air filter there is a clamp that holds the throttle body and air box together, poke around a little bit and you'll see a screw head.

5. Tarkus

Basically new cluthes and seals in tranny as bearings and planetaries are usually good unless you trash tranny out.

6. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

thanks guys, I'll see what I come up with

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for an overhaul or rebuilt Dodge tranny unless you KNOW of a reputable place in your area. Also if you check around there are places that will sell a brand new tranny for about the price of a rebuild. APS Precision is at least one place I know of, they will also upgrade your transmission to suit your needs and test it before they ship it.

8. Tarkus

I am not to sure about that. There is nothing wrong with a good rebuild and sometimes they are better than new because any production flaw are discovered and fixed during a rebuild. You also have to watch some of these "mods" that are supposed to improve reliablity as some do and some do not.

9. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

the truck has 147,000 miles +/- on it. i don't want to put a ton of money into it if i don't have to. i guess the best thing to do would be have the tranny looked at and assess the situation. i'd probably go with a rebuild if i can save some money.

10. Tarkus

There is always the bone yard option. I have had good luck there with engines and trannies for friends vehcals

11. bartlc

bartlc Junior Member

Sharp Ram! What size are your tires? Just curious.

12. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

285 All Terrains

Ok, I got the air filter changed, there was a small screw in the back that needed to be loosened.

One problem after another........now my truck won't start. I got under it and banged on the starter. It started once, then I made the mistake of turning it off. Won't start now. Had it towed to the shop. Just one more thing to fix and pay for on this POS