1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air dam cutting on 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckeye Chuck, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I am hearing from dealer that my air dam (gray) near the pull hooks must be cut out to accommodate the Western 7.5 Std. Poly Plow. Also they may have to remove my skid plate, something I payed for with my plow prep. pkg..

Sound normal for a 1500 Siverado? I heard in the Dealer Posts that this wasn't normal for the HD's. Not sure if it is a good idea to take the air dam off for looks and aesthetics.

Thanks

2. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Buckeye, Just had my Blizzard put on last week on my Tahoe and they had to cut the air dam. I was unsure of it, but I don't even notice it now. With my mount staying on all year, you don't even notice it. Doesn't seem to affect anything either.

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buckeye - I had to cut mine in order to put it back on with my Fisher. No problems yet. The truck just looked butt ugly with the valence off so I hacked it up with an air saw.

4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Buckeye -- They had to trim the airdam when my Curtis was installed. The instructions said to remove 36 inches, but the dealer was pretty experienced with Curtis and he only took out 32". Also, the instructions said to remove the tow hooks, but he replaced the kit bolts with bolts a bit longer and used the hooks as backing plates for the mount. Looks pretty slick and is absolutely not in the way of anything.

Anyway, back to the air dam. Granted the Curtis mount is pretty unobtrusive, but I don't even notice the difference unless I look really close.

Pete

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Dealer had to cut my air dam also. 2000 1500 Silverado w/760LT Blizzard. He did a really good job, can't even hardly tell it's been notched for the mount. Didn't do anything with the skid plate, but that could be different with each plow.

Buck

6. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Air-DAmm!

I took off the air dam last season when I had a new Meyer installed on the '04. I liked it with the dam off since it's low in the front anyway. I did put it on for the summer but I will take it back off when I put the light-pump frame back on this season. The "skid plate" in the front was a plastic splash shield that I was able to bend under new push plate.

Powerband :cool:

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I removed my air dam on my 2002 1500. I think it looks better without. When i sold that truck i removed the mount and put the air dam back on, can't even tell that there was a plow on it. :) Most guys around here just remove them. I think now there is a new bracket which doesn't require removal or notching of the air dam for Western Ultra mounts. Maybe thats just on the 2500's, I don't know for sure.

8. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

I took the air dam off my 2500 ram to install my snoway. It took me a week before I realized I like it better without it. I held on to it so if I ever go to sell it I can just slap it back on. Give it some time it might grow on you.

9. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I had the dealer cut my air damn so that it didn't look so ugly, they installed my Boss and I got to keep my skid plate. Breck

10. Buckeye Chuck

Guess I'm going to have him notch it out. He said he will do a neat job.
    Hopefully I'll get my new plow this weekend. I think it took me as long to pick a plow as it did the truck. :)

11. writon

writon Junior Member

I had my first blade installed by the dealer and they cut mine so i told them they should have called me because i would have rather taken it off and saved it.
    So they bought me a new one. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  12. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Yep....they notched out mine for my Boss....they did a good job and I still have my running lamps in the air dam. Actually doesn't look bad with the Boss mount in place of the missing air dam section. Has a great sticker on that says TheBoss... :waving:

13. Buckeye Chuck

I'm thinking come summer, I will get out the Duct Tape. Should match pretty good down there. :)

14. Saltwater Joys

Saltwater Joys Junior Member

Air dam

Had a 7.5 Sno-Way installed on my 2001 Chev 4x4 about a month ago. The dealer had to cut the air dam. Doesn't look that bad because mounting brack for the plow doesn't stick out that much.

15. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

the dealer cut my air dam on a 2000 silverado to mount my 7.5 snow-way. He talked me into it because it had fog lights built in otherwise I would have taken the dam off. Can't remember when the last time I needed fog lights in Cleveland, but if we ever get fog I'm ready. :)