1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air conditioning swap (78 to newer)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vellemeister, Jul 24, 2003.

1. vellemeister

vellemeister Junior Member

I have a 78 K20 that had the factory air in it until it started to leak and the compressor died. I woul like to take a junkyard truck (ie. 1990 or later) and put the air from that truck and put it into mine.

I have found that there are brackets made for the compressor mounting to the engine but will the wiring, controls, condensor, and exchanger work? Do I need to use components from my old system or am I dreaming of something that is potentially impossible?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The evaporator core,heater core,and heater box is all different.The heater controls are totally different.

The compressor you should be able to get all the stuff you need to bolt it on,but then the lines will be different,so you'll need to have custom ones made.

You will also need the alternator,water pump (reverse rotation),air pump,etc,and all the pulleys,as they will all be needed to run the newer serpentine belt setup.

The condensor is not a direct bolt in,but you should be able to make it work.Custom lines will be needed again.

I think you just be better off to repair your old system (parts are cheaper),and convert it to R134A.Compressors are a dime a dozen too for used,or you could go rebuilt.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I once again will agree with Wyldaman. I have done a number of repairs to old systems. Compressors are easy to find but trying to match up different components can be difficult. There are a number of companies that sell kits and repair parts for older 50-80's vehicles. Many can be found on the internet.

I would also convert it to R134a. It does not run as cool as R12 but it is safer and can be done by yourself.