1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air compressor pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, May 22, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I need to replace the air compressor pump on my Chevy Cheyene. I was told I just need to buy one and can switch it out on my own in 30 min. I want to make sure that when I unscrew the fittings, I wont spray freeon or anything all over, I was told by the mechanic who told me I could do it, that I will need to bring it in and have the air charged, is air the only thing that would leak? And I need to loosen the belt using the alternator, how is this done?

If I can loosen the belt and be sure I wont spray freeon, I can do the whole thing myself.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Sorry I cant help you with the compressor, But to remove the belt all you need to do is pop a 3/8" rachet into the belt tensioner and hold it out of the way while you pull the belt off.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

you will definitely loose freon and maybe some oil ,if you carefully crack the line's you should be ok ,but you should have somebody do it that can recycle the freon instead of just letting out into the air .

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whats wrong with the A/C compressor Kev? Why do you need to change it out? Does the A/C work?

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The compressor clutch went out, and I was told by everyone to put in the new system. I was told it was a $500-600 job, and thats when I decided Id do it myself.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the system is good other than the clutch, I'd only replace the clutch. This way it's not necessary to break open a good working system. After opening the system for a compressor replacement it can get expensive quick... you really should have it flushed, evacuated PROPERLY...as well as replacing the orifice tube and accumulator in order to do the job correctly to prevent further problems later. A/C isn't a component to fool with without the proper tools or skill...you can definitely cause additional problems and cost for yourself.

If your estimate of $500-$600 for the compressor replacement included all these additional parts and procedures done by qualified people, then that price isn't out of line at all. And that's why it would cost that much, since that's what it takes to do the job correctly.

You can however replace just the clutch assembly without totally removing the compressor from the engine or opening up the system. You will however need a clutch puller and some knowhow on how to use it.

7. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I was told by several people thats its not worth it to just replace the clutch, so I replaced the whole system, but I did it all yesterday, and its good to go.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How's the A/C working after the compressor replacement?

9. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well I need to get the system charged, so imm not sure, I dont know if I want to spend the $ now, or go without air and save $ for a while, not that it would be expensive.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah the old " ya just need a new compressor" story. Before you know it the only thing not new are the controls in the cab!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which was the exact reason that I asked how it was working after the compressor replacement. :)