1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air brakes to electric?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Eggie329, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Has anyone ever converted a trailer with air brakes to electric? As I look online I have found a few people who have done it, but not a lot of info. I'm not really familiar with air brakes. I have a trailer I'm looking into for another business that can easily be pulled with a one ton truck, but they only make them with air brakes expecting you to pull it with a semi. Anyway I want to see if I can make the brakes electric or if I should just admit I have to swap the axles! Thanks for the help.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What spindles are on the axles? inner and outer bearing sizes? what is the GVW of the trailer? What backing plate mount is on the axle? Lunette or ball type coupler on the trailer?

3. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

All I know so far is that it is around 16,500 pounds and it has a lunette coupler. I will try to find out more soon. Thanks

4. cosgo

cosgo Member

I think you'll find in the end that its easier to just swap axles. By the time youve bought all new hubs/drums, hardware, you can just buy the axles. also, if you do the conversion (if its possible with your set up) you'll have to ensure the new stuff is going to accomodate your current rims. (they may have to be switched also depending on hardware)

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

they question is will the trailer have the braking power with electric to handle the loads it was designed for?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dexter makes axles as heavy as 15,000lbs capacity with electric brakes. Suggested retail is in the neighborhood of $1,750.00 for a single axle assembly. They have 12 1/4" x 5" brake assemblies. However at that weight if I was to part from air I would consider Electric over Hydraulic. Available with anti-lock, they are mulch less susceptible to fade and corrosion.

7. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

The Mulch Has Returned.:laughing:

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's been here mulch of the time.Thumbs Up