1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air brakes in a pickup?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowman3725, Jan 29, 2007.

1. snowman3725

snowman3725 Junior Member

alright heres one to really get your heads spinning. What about an air brake conversion in a 1996 7.3 powerstroke? I know the new F650 has air brakes in it..... anyone have any suggestions? :salute:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why would you want to?

Plus, you'd need a Commercial Driver's License with Air Brake endorsement.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I seen one back in 2000 at Expressway ford in Clio, Mi.
    It was a F350 supercrew powerstroke, with self inflating tires, air suspension, and brakes.
    4 leather lariat chairs, 360 degree radar, night vision. It was a proto type for the miltary.

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

air brakes

No thanks-- big trucks havem cuz they need em. I never liked the small lag time and nonexistent feel of air brakes let alone always crawling underneath to check slack adjusters. But if you find something I'd be curious to check em out!

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'm sure it could be done without issue, but I have never seen or heard of a kit for this conversion and I wouldn't imagine that it would be inexpensive to custom build one. Also, as stated previously, you would have to go out and get a CDL to drive around a Class 3 truck, which is a waste, IMO. You're better off upgrading your setup to larger rotors and more effective calipers/pads with stainless steel braided lines for better feel.

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I WISH ALL YOU PEOPLE WOULD LEARN THE LAW BEFORE YOU SPOUT OUT SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW. A CDL IS BASED ON THE GVWR OF THE VEHICLE NOT THE TYPE OF BRAKES IT HAS!!! YOU CAN GO TO RYDER OR ANY OF THOSE OTHER TRUCK RENTAL PLACES AND LEASE A TRUCK TO USE AS A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE WITH A 25,500GVW AND AIRBRAKES ALL DAY LONG WITH OUT A CDL.AND THERE IF NO AIR BRAKE ENDORSMENT THERE IS ONLY A RESTRICTION JUST LIKE IF YOU WERE GLASSES YOU ARE RESTICTED TO WEREING THE TO DRIVE.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: In MN you would need an air brake endorsement to operate/drive a vehicle with air brakes.
    Regardless of GVWR.

It the law.:nod:

Rental trucks.
    Most of them are juice brakes:waving:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  8. clark lawn

from NE ohio

show me in writing were it states you need an air brake endoresment to drive a vehicle under 26k with air brakes. something by the state not what you think you know. and i know for a fact that ryder has thousands of 25,500 GVW trucks with air brakes and you do not need a cdl to drive them.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is where I got the requirement regarding Air Brake endorsement. I think this should be considered an authority.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

10. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

HERE:yow!: HERE.... JUST WAS AT THAT SITE AND IT SAID 26'001 OR HIGHER

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  11. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

unless the law has changed anyone can go rent and drive a semi, as long as it is for you and not used for business.

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Vehicles under 26,000 lbs. GVWR don't require a CDL, not 25,500.

13. snowman3725

snowman3725 Junior Member

well this ones gotten interesting huh? :realmad: a CDL does not require an air brake endorsement in MA, just some companies prefer and/or require their employees to be properly trained with the equipment. CDL is classified as anything above 26,001lb, excluding school busses. The idea of this discussion was to see what people thought of it, and i like the idea because you probably would never see a pick-up let out a loud release of air anywhere. I think it would be completely one off, and using the right set-up i think there would be minimal brake pedal reactions and feels, but a whole lot of extra weight with the air tank and compressor and canisters.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Test Name Take If...
    Passenger Transport ...you want to drive a bus
    Air Brakes ...your vehicle has air brakes
    Combination Vehicles ...you want to drive combination vehicles
    Hazardous Materials ...you want to haul hazardous material or waste in amounts which require placarding
    Tankers ...you want to haul liquids in bulk
    Doubles/Triples ...you want to pull double or triple trailers

source..http://www.aitaonline.com/CDL/Requirements.html

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The law never changed. Go get a big truck. You will need the proper
    cdl to operate/drive it even if you are not for hire.

There are class A, B and C motor homes and you will need the right lic.

There called class A,B,or C because of the lice endorsements you will need to drive it.

It does not matter what the gvwr is you will need the air brake endorsement.

16. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i just took the CDL test about 4 months ago here in PA and could probably recite every word from the manual to you...a CDL is based on weight class...26,001lbs. or above you have to have one...an air brake endorsment is required ONLY if you have airbrakes on your truck that has a GVWR of 26,001lbs or above. you can go drive an F650 with a 26,000lb GVWR with air to the rear and not need an edorsment or a CDL, however you cant drive an F800 with a 33k GVWR with air brakes and not have a CDL....

but to the original post i would think air brakes in a truck that small would be a hassle...air brakes are strong and you would proabaly end up locking up the tires more then you want.

17. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

air brakes

Air brakes are not an endorsement--they are a RESTRICTION regardless of GVW. That's why they are a separte test in the CDL test. Endorsements are HAZMAT, tankers, doubles etc...You need to have that RESTRICTION lifted to be legal to drive a CMV. Motorhomes fall into another category as far as airbrakes go. If your CMV has airbrakes you need that restricion lifted. If you still insist Dirtdigger, I'll hire you for my lawyer next time and see if I get better results. IF I lose you pay the fines.:) :)

18. clark lawn

from NE ohio

boss are you saying that you got a ticket for a vehicle under 26,000# with air brakes for no CDL. if so and your lawyer fail in his job you better get another one that graduaded from law school and didn't get his degree in the mail. do you have a CDL if so look at it there is no air brake endorsment it is a restriction on a CDL just like eyeglasses would be a restriction if you need them.

19. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i know its 26000# just that about 90% are rated at 25500#

20. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Clark--under 26 K doesent mean no CDL. Then It's a Class C CDL. It's a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Not a motorhome, not a motortoter, not a private vehicle. Those all have their own laws and regulations. If it has air brakes and it's used for BUSINESS (Commercial) regardless of GVW you need to have the air brake restriction lifted from your DL . As far as a restriction or endorsement try rereading my last post. What you said is what I already stated. Maybe you should be my lawyer then in the future:nod: :nod: