1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Brakes, Air Dryer, alcohol or both

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Dennis/Ohio, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Dennis/Ohio

Dennis/Ohio Junior Member

My '81 Ford LTS8000 has the alcohol injection bottle for the air system. I've never tried the air dryer that contains a desiccant filter. Should I go to the trouble of installing a dryer?
    Thank, Dennis.........
  2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Air Dryer

Hi Dennis,

Threw the years I ran a half dozen trucks with air brakes and all had dryers on them.
    Now in the next breath, in 12 years I NEVER had my air lines frozen.I was also good about draining my air tanks on a regular basis.
    For what thats worth.
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

put a drier on it and keep the tanks drained. alchol will dry out the rubber in the valve and cause them to fail. heres another tip before you shut the truck down and the end of the day pump down the brakes so the compressor is runnung when you shut it off, that way the unloaders wont freeze open and not let you build air.