Snow Plowing Forum banner

Air bags

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  sweetk30 
#1 ·
Ok so when I use to work at Jegs, I decdided to buy some air bags for my truck. Since the lift it seemed to sag with even a small trailer, granted the rear has blocks to that is understandable. As plow season is getting closer I have started to put these on, but I don't they are going to work because of the lift.

The bottom mounts on the axle, underneath of where the joyce bumper is and the top mounts from a bracket off the frame. I think it will take some fab work to get these on, and I was wondering what your guys opinion is? Or if I should just get the springs re-arched?

#2 ·
i installed a 2" level kit for a guy. he had bags also in the rear. i just used some 2"x2" 1/4 wall square tube to space them down. the upper bracket mounted were the overload bumper was on the frame. so i drilled 2 holes top and bottom and bolted the 2x2 tube up and then the bag mount to the 2x2 tube. all worked as if it was made like that.

#4 ·
thay are designed for stock spacing. so if you go up x amount you need to raise them up or drop the brackets x amount.

so for your needs you need to gain 6" of space. i would see if you can do 3" on frame bracket and 3" on axle bracket if possible to split the spacer needs. if not with that much i would see if a local steel shop could make you a new set of brackets with some gussets built in and streched the 6" of diffrence.

#6 · (Edited)
take the money for re arching and throw it in the toilet. it wont last worth a crap. get new and or heavy option or lift springs to get what you want. for the effort to remove them and wast time rearching and install to have them sag back out in 2-4 months or less with heavy use no thanks.

and you can only arch so big before you run out of room with the length of the main leaf.

what is your trucks specs and needs? more info will help with options for you. if the one in your sig thay have the same length and sizes for 88-up trucks. only diffrence is bigger gvw truck gets more leafs per pack. so you can bolt in 1ton springs in a 1/2 ton no problems. i would look for some 1ton springs for more beef and still ride great as the longer 64" springs of 88-up ride better.

my 1 truck has 1ton 5 leafs and i added a 6th leaf to the pack. she hold the loads much better and when loaded sits great. and my mother even says it ride great for a 1ton truck and she is vary picky.

#7 ·
Yup it's the one in my sig. Its a 94 K2500, but the heavier duty version. It only tows a boat and a smaller enclosed trailer now. I use to tow a fully loaded ditch witch trailer, with the ditch witch and pipe and the truck didn't squat an inch. Now with this trailer it squats which dirves me nuts. I was thinking that adding a leaf would be a better option. Nobody makes lifted springs for my truck which is aggervating.

#8 ·
Greenwalt;600808 said:
Nobody makes lifted springs for my truck which is aggervating.
yes thay do make lift springs for 64" length trucks like 88-up. but not rated to carry the full weight of stock style springs.

i found a set of springs with 4 leafs in them. and measured and checked my 5 leaf packs and found the #3 leaf from the 4 leaf pack would fit with out trimming and modifying anything into my 5 leaf pack at the #2 or #3 stock position cant recall off hand. then i just needed 2 new center pins and 4 new ubolts. and away i went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.