1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Bags

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spacolee, Oct 31, 2004.

1. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I am new to this site and received allot of good info on it so here is a ? for you all I have a 1999 ford with a 8.2 Boss and my air bag went off last year on the drivers side the passenger side was shut off. Has that ever happened to anyone? I bought a 2004 Ford this year and put on a 810 Blizzard and i was wondering if i should pull a fuse on the air bags or something. Any suggestions.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you were plowing TOO fast and hit something hard enough to set it off. :D

3. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Well what happened was I hit a man hole lid but I never hit it that hard I never even had my seat belt on and the air bag never even hit my face but almost ripped my thumb off (ouch) Is there any thing i can do to shut them down I don't even have one in the 99 anymore.I just don't want it to happen to the new one

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

To my knowledge, I don't think you can turn the driver's side off. :confused:

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sounds like you had some kind of malfunction.
    I've hit some stuff pretty hard and never had a problem like that.
    I tore off about 8 inches of my scraper bar last year in my 01 when I was windrowing an access road to a complex. (at about 10MPH)
    I got caught up in a section of cement curb that had sunk after being replaced a few months back.
    I don't worry to much about the air bags after that hit.
    The ABS on the other hand, now thats another story.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Their is a small wire under your dash that basically triggers the airbag, it has stickers all over it saying what it is for, ( ya know, WARNING, AIRBAG ) that kind of stuff, at one end their is a small 2 piece connector, if your concerned about setting it off again disconnect the wire, when you hit something the signal to trip the airbag won't be there ( therefore, no detonation ) I would be concerned if your were in an accident of some sort, may want to re-think this..

Just my .02 cents worth..

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Just install a toggle switch on this line. I did this on my jeep for when I go wheeling. Just remember to turn it back on. (however it might trigger an warning light on newer vehicles

8. intlco

intlco Senior Member

It says right on some of the blades that plow at 15mph and hitting an object or bad pavement will set off the airbag.
    Dealers here advise that the airbag and snowplow are not a good mix, and it is possible for the airbag to deploy just from dropping the plow very hard.

It is advised to disconnect the yellow harness under the dash on both sides if you don't want the airbag to deploy.

On the newer trucks, their will be a warning light that comes on and stays on and the Chevys will also say SERVICE AIR BAG in the message window.

If you take the truck for service, just tell the dealer that you disconnect it for plowing and they will understand.

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

there is no way that the dealer or any mechanic will disconnect your air bag
    because of the fear of being sued. when i took an air bag class i was told if you hit a non movable object over 15mph or a movable object 30 mph the bag will deploy not at lower speeds. was there any damage to the truck or plow when you hit the manhole cover. you could do it yourself remove the airbag fuse or module
    john

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Do you guy's realize what your telling him to do those bags were put there for a reason,you should consider slowing down, seeing how the sensor needs a lot of force to move the ball off it's magnetized position to the other contact, which sets off the airbag. I know it's been awhile since I been to school for air bags, but I still believe he was going to fast

11. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The dealer themselves will not disconnect it. They only suggested that if your plowing snow, you should disconnect the harness. And they could only advise the person of the location and color of the harness because it is not legal for them to it.
    As for not having the airbag, it's no big deal. Do know how many years we've driven trucks without airbags. Most trucks over 8600 gvw didn't get airbags until 2000.
    Here, a lot of guys disconnect the harness, cause you can hit a deer and blow the airbag too.
    The body shop said that if that airbag blows while plowing, your gonna have about 6k in interior damage and maybe a broken arm or some fingers pending the situation. It's not worth the risk.
    I wish the would make Airbags optional so if you want it, you can have, but if you don't, you don't have to pay for it.