1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Bags?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kraco_1, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Just curious if anyone has ever hit a snow bank while plowing, hard enough to set off there air bags? And if so, did you get hurt, or do any damage to the truck or plow? Thank's.....Kraco_1
  2. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I have a relative that sells ford trucks. he had heard of that happening with older models but not with the newer ones. i have been hit with an air bag before (deer-car)OUCH i hope no one has that happen.
  3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I've often wondered the same thing - usually while looking down at the switch to turn off the airbags but while not wanting to stop plowing long enough to shut the truck off to use the ignition key to do so!
  4. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Jason, you got a switch to turn your's off? That's pretty cool, I've got a new truck and only the passenger side can be turned off. That would be a nice feature to have on a plow truck. And greenquestlawn, yeah I've almost hit a few deer here where I'm at to but I've been lucky so far (knock on wood) My wife has hit 5 and 4 of them were in one year, lol.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

do a search under air bags and see what that brings up.
    There are several sensors that need to be tripped inorder to set off the airbag, so plowing shouldnt trip anyone of those. They are located at different points on the frame, so alot of movement would be needed to trip the bag.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have worked at dealers for many years,and have never seen (only heard rumors) that this was happening while plowing.We use to try and set them off on purpose (in a damaged vehicle,as the scrap yards would not take them with intact airbags,and we had a hard time.We used to drive them into retaining walls at 20+ and jump out,and maybe one out of ten would go off.It's funny though,I have seen vehicles in low speed colisions and they almost always go off.The on-board computers for these things are very intelligent,and don't normally go off without good reason.Finally,to get rid of them,we started setting them off manually,just lying face down on the pavement,with a long jumper wire,and they would go a good 150-200 ft in the air.What a sight !
  7. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Hey thank's for the info guy's. That's good to know there not gonna go off that eazy. For some reason I could just see this being a newbie lesson that I would have to learn the hard way. lol
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Kraco_1,like plowking35 said, it takes alot of movement in the front end to set off an airbag, basically the frame ends have to move from impact, hence, a hard collision with something solid. So if you are worried about hitting a snow bank hard, give her hell, trust me, if you hit it hard enough to make it go off, you will be glad it did, or you would be pickin' your teeth outta the steering wheel. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm going on thirteen years as a bodyman so I've had some experiences around airbags and how they work. Good luck.