1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air bags vs. Timbrens

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blee1ash, Dec 15, 2008.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I know most of you run timbrens ,and I havent heard any thing bab about them, but I was wondering if anyone uses air bags such as air lift or firestone ride rite and what you think of them.

2. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I never tried Timbrens but run air bags with onboard compressor on everything we got and love em

3. Turkey

Turkey Member

Firestone airbags front and rear. I like the adjustability, also really helps the overall truck stability when loaded. Will definitely be adding the on-board compressor in the future. When you compare the cost of two sets of Timbrens, the airbags aren't that much more.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Depends on what you want.

A softer ride and adjustable load capability. Maybe better handling when loaded with salt and plow. Go with airbags.

Looking to just make sure the truck is not bottoming out when hitting a bump while loaded or helping with the "sag" issue when loaded. Go with Timbrens.

I have seen to many on-going problems with air bags in the past so I have chose not to go that route.

Timbrens are basically just a giant bump stop that replaces the smaller stock ones. They do help with a load front and rear and is what I have used on my last 3 trucks.

Cost was not a thought as I had to do one of the two either way and Timbrens were in stock and very easy to install.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I am going to go with airbags for the back. My truck is older, and the springs are pretty well done. Plus, I want the adjustability. Firestone, Hellwig, or Air Lift. Does anyone have any particular reccomdations?

6. CompleteCare

CompleteCare Member

I like the firestone front air shocks. Pretty sweet but like $500+ no more plow sag