1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air bags vs. Timbren

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Encrusted, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Looking to beef up front end of my f250 6.0 psd anyone have any tips.Running a Boss 8'2" vplow.

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have used both and I like the air bags much more than the timbrens. Air bags are adjustable and give a better ride, loaded or empty.

3. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

air bags

thanks for the tip

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Matt the Timbrens work good and don't need any attention after they are installed.
    I would recommend an "Add-A-Leaf" being added to the the front leaf springs, this will take care of any sag that you may be having and carry the load much better then your stock set up.
    :rolleyes: John..................

5. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Adding a spring was an option i was considering but,a lot of people told me it would reduce ride quality when not plowing.I would love to find a happy medium.

thanks for the tips,keep them coming.

6. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I went with Timbrens, and don't regret it at all. The ride is a little firmer without the plow.....With the plow, the ride is about normal. Install took all of 15 minutes. No worries about compressors, air lines, controls, maintenance. Timbrens are also Cheaper (about $139). I think mine feels more like a truck now with the Timbrens,,,,even corners better (flatter). :cool:

With Timbrens, my rig lowers about 1/2" when the plow is raised, w/o Timbrens the front drops nearly 2", and feels like a frickin' ocean liner... :eek:

Good Luck!

7. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Did you install front and back or just in front? Do I need rears?

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I put Timbrens on my 97 Jimmy. It seems to work OK!

9. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Just have them on the front. The backs of Chevys are typically high.....I have about 500lbs of sand behind rear axle....the truck sits level with the plow raised.

I'd probably put them on the rear if I had a Salt Spreader or something really heavy in the back.... :waving:

10. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Thanks for the info I ended up going with Add a Leaf.Payed 300 installed,they picked up the front end a bit,but it looks cool,ride is a little stiffer but not bad at all,plus i can now fit taller tires,(more money).Pretty happy with the Add a Leafs,now I need some snow to test them out.

11. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

good move

Glad you got the add-a-leaf. I like that option much better than air bags or Timbrens.

Hey, if I wanted it to ride like a car, I'd have bought a car. :)

12. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

I think the leafs were the way to go the ride is still nice,only feel the new leaf when I hit a pot hole or something,

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

There are allways two ways to fix something.
    The right way and the cheap, or cheaper way.

Up grading your leaf springs is the right way. Wise choice.

14. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

I hear that. I think I made the right choice.

15. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Thats why I bought an 04, I wanted leafs.

16. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

What are you tallking about?

17. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

keep in mind if you add a leaf it will even out the truck a bit

I cant see how people say they notice any difference with timbrens when there is no load on the front end?

They go in place of the stock bumpstops, if they are hitting your springs when there is no load on them isnt it time to get your springs done rather then shoving a piece of hard rubber on top of them?

The only justification I see for timbrens is for plowing, even then if the truck is sagging that much I think the springs should be addressed and not rely on a piece of rubber.

18. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Thanks L.I. Rob,I appreciate the advice,I live in Ronkonkoma, got a couple of commercial account and a bunch of drive ways, I'm a businessman and ways looking to grow. Lets talk, :cool: :yow!:

19. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Matt everyone that I have done the Add-A-Leafs to has liked the way their truck handled and carried the extra load of the plow.
    Glad your happy with yours too.
    :rolleyes: John..................

20. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Most of the pickups out there only have 2 inches of up travel in the suspension before they hit the factory bump stops. The timbrens are longer and are in contact with the spring with no added load on the front of the truck. I agree that adding another leaf and raising the front of the truck is a good way to go. I know I didnt like the ride or performance of a Ford TTB or a Chevy Straight axle with the Timbrens installed.