1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air bags & torsion keys

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by TMAN, Nov 10, 2006.

1. TMAN

TMAN Junior Member
    from MIDWEST

Have a few questions on air bags.

Thinking about installing them on my HD but I am curious on how much air psi to install and how well they are holding up. I pull a lot of boats and equipment. Can anyone relate or advise on these? They are pricey so I am a bit gun shy.

Torsion keys: I have installed these on a different truck. Afterwards I was very impressed with the outcome. Do you guys think the HDs carry the 810s well enough just by cranking up the bars or is it worth installing the torsion keys? You gain a little over 2'' of front lift with the keys and it's a very easy install, plus the truck looks pretty cool.

Any thoughts on this?

2. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

All you need to do is put a set of timbrins on the front and your good to go.If you go much higher then stock your getting out of blizzards 12.5 to 14.5 inches under carrage height.The air bags are great,used to put an extra spring in the rear but made the truck ride stiff.air bags pump them up when loaded heavy and let the air out when not for a stock ride.

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Firestone has an air over shock, Bilstein shock used, comming out soon. These should be the best option but if you need something now go with the timbrens and turn up the bars some.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a set of Firestone bags under the rear of my 2005 2500HD since last fall. They make a big differnce in how well the truck handles that vbox with a yard of salt in it. I run about 45 psi in the winter and run about 5 psi in the summer unless Im carry or hauling something. I would buy bags again without a second thought. I also have turned bt t bars 5 turns and added a set of Timberns on the front.

Regards Mike

5. sw and me

sw and me Junior Member

Bags Ect

As for the front my 2500 HD w/ plow pkg and timbrens is more than plenty

for my 810 but I cary 700 800 lbs of ballast weight behind the rear axle

I use old wear plate from the county plow trucks the were free and easy to work with

I cut them to lenght so they fit tight behind the wheele well and anchored them down to the box so they can move around or fly out in case od an accident.

Work like a charm plus the take up only a few inches so I can still carry stuff in the box

unlike sand or cement block.

The air bags for the rear are the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps