1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air bags or Timbren???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by indyhorses, Dec 24, 2005.

1. indyhorses

indyhorses Junior Member

I've got a 95 F150 with a 7 1/2 Western. Coil springs. Drops about 5 inches when I raise the plow. I can get Air bags for $95 and Timbrens for about $160. Any thoughts on pros and cons of each...I'm leaning toward the timbren springs but wanted some more input. Thanks :confused:
  2. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

Ihave timbrens on my present Chevy, but I had a 94 F-150 that had a 7 1/2' diamond blade. I put air bags in the F-150 and it held the plow fine, with very little sag. For $65.00 less I would go with the air bags.

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You can get airbags with the compressors, lines, and the whole setup for $65? If so, I see no reason to go with Timbrens. I'm really a much bigger fan of Timbrens, but if you can spend less and go with airbags, why not?
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

any time air bags are available they are a better option. the air bags asist in carrying the load the entire range of your uspension the timbrens are simply a larger bumbp stop and don't come into efect untill the suspension is nearly maved out.
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have to agree with Carl, air bags are the way to go if you can.

Regards Mike
  6. indyhorses

indyhorses Junior Member

Thanks guys....that helps alot
  7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The compressor is sold separately, but everything else is included.
  8. john-boy

john-boy Member

I have a set of air bags on my bronco and love them...great for beefing it up only while the plow is on. i let the air back out whenever the plow is removed, just have a valve stem mounted on the front bumper.
  9. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

i have airbags on my bronco as well. definitely the way to go. just as a little tip though, mount the valve stem inside the cab so you can keep an eye on the pressure with a tire gauge and get one of the compressors that come with the emergency car kits that way you can fill it from inside where it's nice and warm!!

btw, not such a good idea to let all the air out of the bag when not in use, keep it at a minimum of 10 psi to make sure the bag doesn't get pinched.
  10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Great idea, never thought of that, I have bags on the rear of my 05 Chevy 3/4 HD.

Regards Mike
  11. john-boy

john-boy Member

i do keep a lil air in it, but not enough to change the camber of the wheels
  12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Bags! Had an f150 myself and the bags were great. Like one of the others said, always leave some air in them to prevent tears. I always kep about 20#. Also, on mine, the max psi was 80# I think. At 70# the truck sat up like a dream!

As far as mounting the schraders in the cab? Mine were under the hood. With engine heat they never froze. So that is just preference.

13. indyhorses

indyhorses Junior Member

Great Ideas.....BTW Someone said you could get bags for $65.00 or so. The cheapest I can find them here in Indy is $95.00. Any thoughts on where to get them....Thanks:help:
  14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

15. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I started plowing with a 95 f-150 this year also with a western 7.5 plow. I added a set of Heavy duty springs to the front for less than $60 and it only drops about an inch or so now. I am also thinking of going with the air bags to try and save the suspension