1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air bags or more leafs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fannin76, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I have a 97 f150 new body and I was thinking of adding air bags or an 8 pack if leafs off an older f350 so I could haul more salt. What are your opinions?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The obvious answer is you need more truck. If that isn't an option then I vote for airbags since you can adjust the ride to a certain extent

3. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Ur right I do need more truck but not an option right now. The adjustabulity of air bags is nice but cheapest set I've found is 270 bucks where as the used leaf springs are 80 bucks

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Air bags..

5. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Thanks guys I'll go withe air bags. Now on air bags I know they are rated up to an additional 2000 lbs does that mean I can haul up to 3500 lbs?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Next question is. How You gunna stop it?

7. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I totally agree that breaking power is just as important. I'm not saying I want to be over weight I'm just trying to figure out what they can handle. I'd like to be able to just go get a skid from time to time with out my trailer

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's pushing it. You'd be better off just using trailer.

Even my 3/4 will squat a little with a skid

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The bags will, most are 5K.....

The axle, brakes, rims and tires most like won't very long.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The springs may take it but will everything else? Your axle bearings will not take that kind of weight for long. Or for that matter the axles either. You beef up the springs and will find the next weak spot.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Beetlejuice

12. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

So its settled bags it is