1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Bags (NOT in the steering wheel)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EZSnow, Aug 23, 2003.

1. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I have a 2003 F350 crew with the 7.3. I plan to install a blizzard 810 and I am concerned about the extra weight sagging the truck and getting too close to curbs with the mount. I am closely considering an airlift or similar adjustable airbag setup for the front axle. Eventually, I'd like to add the rear axle, too for pulling a gooseneck, and at that point, put in the whole in-cab giddyup with gauges and stuff.

My question: what happens to these things if you get in a situation where your axle articulates heavily? Do they just stretch out like rubber bands, or do they rip?

Granted, an F-350 is no rock buggy, but I do some backcountry truck camping and hunting that gets pretty hairy sometimes.

I had a tough time deciding which forum to post in... it has some aspects of ford, plowing and off-topic- take it easy on me.:confused:
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with Timbren's on the front,and airbags on the rear.Very rarely will you need to change the pressure on the front bags,so Timbren's are a better choice.They will never leak or tear.I have never had much luck with front airbags.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have had bags on my 350 for three years now and I have found them to be very durable in plowing situations ( they allow you to have a positive affect on your suspension other than reactive). I don't know what type of articulation your concerned about but you can deflate the bags when camping if your that concerned about ripping or tearing. Install and removal is easy and you also get lift with the air bags (as much as 2" at 95psi) which is a look I like.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have never had any problems with airbags tearing. Just keep 10 psi in them so they hold shape. They are pretty strong.

I would think the better bet is for the Timbrens in the front. I have used both airbags and timbrens. I like bags in the rear because of the height adjustment in the front though the timbrens will work only when the extra weight comes on.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you want the truck to sit level,bags are the only choice.Like Chris said,bags arent as reliable as a chunk of rubber(timbrens),but they do allow you to "help the spring at all times,not just when it gets 1/2 way thru the travel. I ahve timbrens on my IFS GMC,and they help a lot. I had airbags on therear of my 89GMC,they worked great,but i went thru 2 bags in 3 yrs,) airlift warrantied them,but nevertheless i had to replace them.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

John do you know what caused the bags to fail? I want to avoid the same. Good to hear they were warrantied.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

CT,poor design and chafing casued the failure. The bags were bought in 96 ish.They were a bag inside a coil spring,thats only job was to contain the bag,well they chafed thru from normal movement over time. The newer style bags dont use that setup,and should last much longer.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I see. Well I tore an air line on one which I then spliced and was overnighted a new line, thanks Air Lift. Great to hear that the company is there for you.
  9. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

ez snow,

Does that truck have the plow prep package? I'm not to familiar with the blizzard plows, do they weigh that much more than a 8'fisher hd. I run 2 newer sd's with these, and have no front end sag at all. Granted you have the deisel but i wouldn't think the difference in the plows would be that much. The reason I ask, is if the truck has the plow prep package ( help me out here gents ) I believe it has the x springs in it which are 6000#'s.

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

my truck is not plow prep, as it is a crew cab, but it does have 6k "X" springs. I am familiar with timbrens, but I would prefer a proactive device, rather than reactive, which is why I was looking at bags.

I'm one who messes with tire pressures for different loads, so it really isn't much trouble to me to adjust the bags now and then.

just curious, thanks for all the input
  11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I have a superduty excursion with an 810 and x-codes. I wouldn't worry about it. No air bags/timbrens needed. With the 810 on I do not even sag to the the timbren type bumpstops that ford put on the excursion. The rear is a different story. I had to put airbags on because of the loads I sometimes throw in the back (2500lbs) or the tounge weight of my trailer (1200lbs)