1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air bags for my truck?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BKFC255, Jan 25, 2009.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

which should i get for my 06 f 150. the air lift ride right or the firestone air bags. I was looking at the air lift ride rite because they have a 2000 lbs cap. any pros or cons i should know about?

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I have Air-Lift 1000s in my plow-Jeep Cherokee and also my GM-based motorhome (to replace the OEM). Both applications have worked great in the coil springs.

Fran

3. voyagerxii

voyagerxii Junior Member

I've tried a few different style suspensions on our trucks. The bags that go inside coil springs don't really offer much lift. They just keep the springs from compressing. The bags that mount between the frame and a leaf spring offer lift and a stiff ride. Both systems work best if you have on-board air so you can air them down when the plow is off and air them up when the plow goes back on. Add a leaf systems work well and are cheaper. Replacing the entire leaf pack is best but more expensive. Replacement coil springs work better than bags and are cheaper.

Scott

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I had the air lift air bags in my old gmc and they worked great. when I hooked my 9klb fifth wheel up to it I would put air in the bags and the truck never squated

5. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

well I am looking at them for the rear wasnt sure if thier is a perferred brand to get. i think I am going to get them they are 220.00 for ride right air bags. should I also look at a air compressor for them or just adjust them as I need them with a air chuck. I have one of the portable air tanks I could fill and bring it with me and adjust them with that I would think that would work not working with to much volume.

6. voyagerxii

voyagerxii Junior Member

I forgot about Timbren for the rear. They may be cheaper than a bag.

7. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

Well I looked at them 194.00 for a set and the air bags were 214.00 not much difference in price.