1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air bag suspension

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TPC Services, Nov 22, 2008.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Thought I would check in here and see if anyone has but in the air bag suspension up front on your dodge CTD's I have had 3 dodge's now and all sage really bad with a V plow on them I have but the Timbrens in but I b ut my last truck the hole front end had to be replace (ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, u joints) I really do no think the took a lot of the weight off the seal piece of crap busings why they did this I have no clue:gunsfiring: at least Ford and Chevy have greasable bushings,

I whould think that putting the air bag suspension in would take more weight off those bushings or at least cushin them better?
    SO like I said just seeing if any of you have done that and what you think?
    Dodge really must put a heavier front endin under these trucks!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the only air bags for the front that i know of are the Kelderman which runs $1200

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i agree, how hard is it to put greasable ball joints and tie rod ends in these trucks. At least they uprgraded the track bar from the 2nd gens. when its my turn for ball joints i am going to use moog greaseable ones :nod: do you run any weight in the back of the trucks? i would put atleast 1000 lbs in the back of the bed:waving:

4. TPC Services

there are other air suspension products out there I'll just have to keep lookin

and ya always run around the weight of the blade as counter weight in the back.

5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

which ones? i too would like to know.ussmileyflagtymusic

6. TPC Services

there all differant kind I do' nt know the names off hand there on ebay and you can find them on craigslist,

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for the front of a dodge?

and the air sys wont take any weight off the front axle, just not jar it as much. weight behind the rear axle will help some

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  8. TPC Services

Yep just learn that from a nother post well F$$%$ there goes that Idea

9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

im guessing your talkin about the air not takin weight off?

im still not finding front air sys for a dodge

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well im commin up empty on the front air sys for dodge

11. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

coil spacers

75-100$ on ebay just got 2 sets needed coil compressor to get them in. get the nice bolt in ones with powdercoat I got the 2.5 inch but the 2 inch would have worked fine

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

were are talking about air systems suspension not the metal spacer for the leveling kit

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What about making a set of rear air shocks fit the front. All you need is the length, maximum travel distance and the style of the front shock mounts. Or cross referance some part #'s.

Actually after re reading the post the air bags/shocks will not relieve any of the weight from the front of the truck. It will only give it an higher ride height. To reduce the stress (weight) on the front the only way is to shift the centre of gravity of the vehivle to the rear. This can be achieved by adding rear ballast. This issue is magnified due to the weight of the 5.9 CTD.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  14. big flounder

from ontario

air bag system

do you want the front of the truck not to sag or do you just want an air bag system for the sake of having one

15. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the oringinal post was about someone trying to take weight off the front. they reaziazed that air sys would have nothing to do with taking weight off but just help the ride. it was then said that there were a lot of different options for the front of a dodge 25/3500 as far as air sys go. i said that i only know of one (kelderman) and then someone said there were many. then someone posted about just the metal spacer, which has nothing to do with wat we are talking aobut.

all the rear shocks that i have found (air shock combo) have a loop style upper and lower connection. the dodge has a stem upper connection. so unless you can find some kind of loop to stem converter and still have enough room to fit the shock and the converter plus travel i dont see it.

what it mainly was about was the air system for the front of a dodge, and where are all these other ones are that they keep saying are out there.

16. big flounder

from ontario

coil spring spacers

Guy has three dodge trucks that sag in the front. after not finding any air shock solutions I bought 2 sets of coil spacers that worked perfect. I will order 2 more sets for my other trucks. air bag solution was a dead end thats why I went with coil spacers. The timbrens only keep the springs from lowering to the bump stop.4 sets(8) coil spacers 525.00$

17. TEX

TEX Senior Member

glad you got what you needed.....

18. TEX

TEX Senior Member

19. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

Yea......i understand the want for an airbag setup on the front of a CUMMINS dodge but unless the raised height that the coils spacers add to the truck bothers the truck owner I have yet to find a better solution (and never a cheaper one) than coil spacers. My truck and 3 customers trucks that i've installed them in sit just like stock with the plow up and on the front. One of the original post's complaints was a couple of dodge trucks with V-plows that were sagging in the front. Dollars and cents wise and time comsumtion taken into consideration you cant beat simple 1.5" or 2" spacer. And personally i would trust and air-bag set-up or spacers before i trusted an air "shock" to hold the front of my diesel dodge up. They just dont seem heavy duty enough to be up to the job......but that is only opinion

20. TEX

TEX Senior Member

i was more jsut showing that they just started making them.

i would put a 1" spacer and s set of those air shocks and be done.