1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Bag Suspension question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TPC Services, Nov 23, 2008.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Thought I would check in here and see if anyone has but in the air bag suspension up front on your dodge CTD's I have had 3 dodge's now and all sage really bad with a V plow on them I have but the Timbrens in but I b ut my last truck the hole front end had to be replace (ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, u joints) I really do no think the took a lot of the weight off the seal piece of crap busings why they did this I have no clue at least Ford and Chevy have greasable bushings,

I whould think that putting the air bag suspension in would take more weight off those bushings or at least cushin them better?
    SO like I said just seeing if any of you have done that and what you think?
    Dodge really must put a heavier front endin under these trucks!!!

2. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Holy punctuation!

I think you are asking if an air bag system instead of Timbrens would keep the front end wear to a minimum. The answer is no. Ball joints, tie rods and hub bearings will have the same amount of weight on them with either setup. The fact of the matter is, you have a VERY heavy diesel engine up front and you add another 900 to 1000 pounds out front, on a lever arm!

3. TPC Services

well there does my idea on taking some of the abuse off the front end.!!

4. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

i gotta agree the airbag will not spread the weight out but it will reduce the sag. if you want to level the truck out its the way to go but air ride can be a real pain to deal with.

5. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Yeah...what happens when one of the air lines breaks, get cut or melts at 2am during a hell of a storm? That is why I love the Timbrens!

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OK I cant keep my mouth shut any longer.:dizzy:

Are you talking Air Bag suspension as in replaces the springs, as used in many many 18 wheelers
    OR
    helper spring air bags

7. TPC Services

helper bags

8. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

[​IMG]

dont get me wrong i love airbags! this is my project truck its on air all the way around i have never melted a line or blown a bag but if you set them up to be adjustable you have factors like freezing valves on board air the need for a compressor. this truck will never see snow for some of those reasons. if you set up the helper bags and use schrader valves to fill them it will get rid of your sag but it will also give you a rough ride. the dodge i had the springs in the front were extremely stiff but the front end was junk it fell apart every year like clock work. i think the engineers forgot about the extra wear and tear the weight of a deisel would do .

9. theplowmeister

from MA

Milions of 18 wheelrs use air bag suspension and air brakes.

I use air operated lockers and love them. I was out on the trail and talking with another Jeeper and he had had them too. He hated them had nothing but trouble and got rid of them. I asked what trouble? He melted the lines twice and wore a hole in the line 3 times.:dizzy: Appon further discussion I found out HE had run the lines and they were next to the exhaust and with no chafing protection.

bottom line anything is crap if not installed correctly.

Can't Fix Stupid

or I prefer

life is tuff... it's even tuffer if you'r STUPID.

10. TPC Services

I may just go with the stiffer gen two springs the 3/4 tons and one tons had in them, cheaper then the air bag idea and will do just the same since there's not much I can do about the extra sage wearing out the busings, the only onther thing I can think of since the retards at dodge can not build a front end heavy enought to carry the weight of the Cummins and putting the plows on them, un like the fords they where think of the contractors that use the piss out of them and not the cubicale boy that thinks he needs a big truck so he can look good!!

That what scares me with the new 2010 the HEAD DESIGNER says they are looking to make the truck more aero dynamic, and spruse up the end side ( Hell I do'nt care what the inside looks like as long as the dam suspension can last like the dam CTD'S do!!)
    I may try an seeing if I can' t some how change out there non grease able crap to grease ables!

11. theplowmeister

from MA

You can either consider the cost of regular maintenance to replace the front end every year OR sell it and get a ford, you seem to like them a lot better.

12. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

i have always been a huge chevy guy but if you look at my picture above u can see 2 ford work trucks! they take a hella beatingg and keep going i got rid of the dodge we had after 3 years of hell