1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Air Bag Deployment

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tonylillo, Dec 24, 2011.

1. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

Mention of this was made on one of the other treads. Has anyone ever heard of deploying air bags on a Dodge when plowing? I know your speed when plowing should be somewhere around 10 to 15 miles per hour, if you hit a snow pile is that enough to set the air bags off? I never thought about this issue. Thanks, Tony

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Buddy had his go off in his Super Duty a couple years ago, he caught an expansion joint in a driveway. The worst part was the passenger side bag spidered the windshield, guys will and have said it can't happen well I know of 2 and personally saw the aftermath of 1

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

From my understanding the sensors aren't hooked to anything related to the plow there for shouldn't be effected at all by the plow hitting something. So they should never go off while plowing.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they can go off. There is more to their deployment then just hitting the sensor which is mounted by the frame rails. Vehicle speed, rate of decelration, impact, etc. Its the same reason they blow if you are rear ended hard enough.