1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ahhhhh rust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Mar 25, 2012.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

ok so here goes i have an 03 1500hd that i bought in september. it had 38,000 miles on it i was really excited about it i looked it over realy good no rust on the body. so i get it home and wash it a couple times by hand taking upto an hour and a half or more making sure it looked good were it was white everything showed pain to get clean. then i put the hose away for the winter winter hear was real warm and almost no snow but they did salt the roads so i went through the touch free car wash a few times to get the salt off. then this past week it was 80 degrees out so i figured id wash both our vehicals. get to mine and as im washing the front fender i see a couple little spots of rust... n ot big just like little pin pricks so i move to the door more pin pricks of rust now im getting upset. as i was i realize there are thousands and thousands of these little rust spots comming through. it almost looks like someone took the time to poke it a million times with an orange marker but it is definatly rust. you can't see it from 10 feet away but when you get up close its just all spotted from about the windows down. its on everything including the fender flares and door trim that isn't metal which has me confused. i have no idea what could have caused this. wondering if anyone had a similar problem or had any ideas? sorry for the long winded post just realy mad about this.

thanks for any input

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's some input - don't use thread titles that a 14 year old would write.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure its rust? Plastic trim pieces don't rust last I knew. Try using a good cleaner compound and maybe it will come off. It could be something other than rust like tree sap maybe. Yeah I know its a long shot for this time of year but you never know

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Use a clay bar, it's likely dust particles from brakes.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the world of white trucks.It's from your brakes and they are removable.I either hit them with my Citrol[Schaeffer product] or a clay bar.Frequent waxing keeps them at bay.

6. bswalks

bswalks Member

Definitely brake dust. All over my truck too. Any easier way to get the wheel wells of the bed clean?? That's the worst on mine.

7. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

yes gotta use a clay bar and lots of wax should of bought a darker color truck

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My truck has them too. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

9. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

If u plow

with it no matter what color it is you will get those. Its from the plow cutting edge. On my truck now and a few gms I have had its happened. At the end of plowing season I clean it all off and I dont see it again until I plow again. Its most definitely from the plow.When you have sparks flying off the plow those are little hot pieces of steeland they land on the clear coat and stick. Wash it real good and either clay bar it or use a really good wax to rub them out. They will be back after you plow with it. A buddy of mine owns a body shop and concurred thats what it was.
    I dont know of other brands but they probably get it too.Reminds me I have to clean mine.
    List of trucks it has happened to:
    98 gmc 1500 forest green but it still had it just not as easy to see
    98 cheby 1500 pewter metallic
    01 cheby 2500hd also pewter metallic
    and my 09 gmc 2500 hd is silver/gray
    Just my $.02 cents

10. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

If u plow

with it no matter what color it is you will get those. Its from the plow cutting edge. On my truck now and a few gms I have had its happened. At the end of plowing season I clean it all off and I dont see it again until I plow again. Its most definitely from the plow.When you have sparks flying off the plow those are little hot pieces of steel and they land on the clear coat and stick. Wash it real good and either clay bar it or use a really good wax to rub them out. They will be back after you plow with it. A buddy of mine owns a body shop and concurred thats what it was.
    I dont know of other brands but they probably get it too.Reminds me I have to clean mine.
    List of trucks it has happened to:
    98 gmc 1500 forest green but it still had it just not as easy to see
    98 cheby 1500 pewter metallic
    01 cheby 2500hd also pewter metallic
    and my 09 gmc 2500 hd is silver/gray
    Just my $.02 cents

11. Tom1

Tom1 Junior Member

What you are seeing is called rail dust, whenever you apply the brakes the pads are wearing as they clamp against the rotor. Use a clay bar with the proper lubricant and then apply a good coat of wax. It will need to be done on a regular basis, there is no way to prevent it.