1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Age of subs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KBTConst, Nov 15, 2009.

1. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Have room for 2 subs this yr just wondering what ages do you guys recomend have a 18 & 20 yr old willing

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Will they fall under your insurance policy or are they going to carry their own?

At that age I believe unless they have worked and shown a good work history since the age of 15 I would try to find another person. Retired guys are probably the best I believe.

I would also make sure they were not my friends unless they had a financial interest in the business as well. There are maybe 2 younger guys I would trust plowing one is Mark from here and the other would be my son. otherwise I would look elsewhere.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would look for guys maybe a little older, but no plowing experience. Teach them to plow they way you want it done. But they need to be willing to get out of the truck without pissing and moaning if shoveling is required.

Like anyone, you need to meet them, and make a decision.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Are these guys really subs (own truck & insurance) or part-time employees (drivers using your truck/equipment). For me it makes a HUGE difference. If true subs, it makes no difference to me, as long as there responsible & respectful of everything (don't tear places up & cuss @ customers). God I sound old.
    My insurance will skyrocket if I put younger drivers on check with the insurance. Agent was telling me about the policy he wrote for his brother/niece(16 or 17 new driver). I about choked. I'll deal with that when the time comes my boys are only 8,7, & 4. By the time they can drive legally though, they'll be able to hold there own in any lot with any driver I'm sure. They've been in /played with every piece of equipment, truck, 4-wheelers etc. I often have a co pilot on clean up, salt runs & service calls.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with RLM on this one. If they're truly subs with their own equipment, it really doesn't matter as long as they can get the job done without damage to your properties. If they're employees in your trucks, keep looking, the insurance alone will kill you. :dizzy:

I'm thankful for someone giving me the chance to sub at a young age, the experience benefited me hugely! :salute:
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

If there true subs you betcha! I know when i was subbing for a guy i was one of his best! That was when I was 17, only thing is alot of my contracts came thru the following year and i had to leave them and do my own thing... Still something I think about all the time, should i have stayed or left... But just cause your young dosent always mean your gonna beat the crap out of something and be careless... I know alot of guys who are, but i do know a few who are not...
  7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I was a sub at 18. Doing township roads. But then again my uncle had the township contract. :drinkup:
  8. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Thanks for the replys These two are trying to get started in plowing they have there own trucks and insurance i just wasnt sure about the age ( rip and ram ) but i think you guys helped me out thanks a bunch
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

its all bout there attitude... if they respect your business and want to do a good job then they will....
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put them to work.
    Best luck
  11. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Same here, but it was my cousin and I was 17 when I started. The town had no idea how old I was. I don't know if he told them I was in my 20's or if they assumed it because they knew I was driving his 18 wheeler interstate. I also did not have my cdl! The director told my cousin that " that 20 something yr old kid you got working for you does a better job than all those older guys did." If only he knew!:D
    Wow, that was 14 yrs ago.
  12. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I'd hire them if you meet them and they seem trustworthy. Young guys always seem more willing to be up plowing at 3am or shoveling, they dont always ask a premium rate for their service either. Just starting out they might work for less to gain the experiance and get their name out there. I was in there shoes once....as i'm sure a lot of you were too. Give 'em a shot!
  13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I started plowing when I was 15.

If these guys have their own gear and are looking for work I would try them out. If they are not on your insurance, their age doesn't matter. Check up on them to make sure they are doing a good job and leaving your places clean.

Don't push them for time, they will get faster even through the season.
  14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Age inst always a good judge of character I have seen guys 40+ tear the hell out of equipment and properties. Best bet is to explain to them what your expectations are and if they don't meet them they can find another place to work.
  15. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Im 20. Iv been in a plow truck every year since I was 10. Riding shot gun with my dad up till I was 15 when I got my permit, and had to have someone in the truck for me to plow. I sub and our group is a bunch of great guys in black trucks!
  16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Sounds odd but meeting their parents would give probably give VERY good insight on what their work ethic is like.
  17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm 19, almost 20 and going into my 3rd winter as a sub. I own my own plow/truck/salter and carry my own insurance. I don't think age should be the deciding factor if they will work well for you. I know kids who are 15 who work harder and are more trustworthy then some 22 yr olds that I know. I'd see if you could get in touch with their parents and see what they say about them. Another good way was see if your able to talk to a friend or two of theirs. The friends of your potential worker will show a lot about what kind of person they are. Do their friends seem trust worthy and hard workers or are they a bit shaddy and uneasy to be around?
  18. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I don't think age should have anything to do with it. I will admit I can see your concern as a lot of the 18 year olds I know are complete fruitcakes and couldn't do anything right besides tip their head back and swig a handle of vodka. But I know many younger guys that are WAY better employees than the older guys. It just all depends on the person, not their age.

For example I am around 20 years old and I own my own company (that was NOT handed to me, I built it) with larger commercial (6+ acres) contracts. and NO I'm not a sub, I am the contract holder. I've been plowing since I was 11. My mother owns a parking lot, and since it was private property, when the lot was empty she would let me loose in it with the company truck. Thats how I learned.

Its almost odd for me, being so young, to have older guys working for me and having to show them the ropes, but what can ya do. I will sometimes get some sH*t from people who don't know me for being young. People assume that just because a person is young, they're morons, screwballs, talentless, or whatever. Well the guys that have had that attitude towards me in my life can keep thinking that while I laugh all the way to the bank with their old contracts.

All I'm saying is, YOU WERE ALL THERE, so if they seem like good guys, hire them. When you were 18, many of you would dream for an opportunity like that.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  19. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

it doesn't really matter with age, i had a couple of my sons college football team mates plow and shovel for me the last 4 yrs and they worked great, then i had guys in their 30's that did a real crappy job and abused my equip, it all depends on the individual. Some of the young guys are really money hungry and don't ***** when having to go out plowing, rather than partying
  20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

With all things being relative, age is the smallest piece of the pie that I look at when considering teaming up with someone.