1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket Rear Bumper

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NH Plowman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

Okay, I've damaged my rear bumper for the last time, and it's bent into the body. Anyone have a lead on a decent aftermarket rear bumper, or maybe you've built your own that you'd share?

2. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i bought my Dmax used and it came with a HEAVY duty steel bumper. i have no idea what brand it is but i will try and grab a pic of it tomorrow and post so you can see it.

3. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

N-fab or ranch hand would be a good place to start :)

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

With your history, I'd stick with a stock bumper. Hit something solid with a "heavy duty" bumper and you risk bending the frame - a much more expensive fix than getting another work truck bumper from the junk yard or craigslist. The factory bumpers are engineered to give, so that your truck doesn't.

5. KrystalKid

KrystalKid Inactive

Rear Bumper Protection

Got one of these from http://www.sparebumper.com. Now I don't worry about backing into things. It's energy absorbing so it will protect your hitch, frame and bumper.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If you want to do the custom route and don't mind a trip to Mass, try Cavalier's Welding in Acton (I think). They do quality work and can custom build whatever you want for a bumper. Probably will end up being cheaper than another bumper and shipping.

7. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

yup Deere Farmer you are correct cavalier welding in acton is the one who makes all of those nice steel bumpers. Thats what bumper is going on my truck next. They are solid bumpers and they make them with or without lights on them.heres the link http://cavelierwelding.com/1083.html

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Great link Wolf! I didn't know they had gotten so fancy. When I get my next truck, i'm getting one with the extra lights. They look great. My '95 F350 has had one of their bumpers on since new. Never repainted or anything and it still looks good for a 16 year old steel bumper on a plow truck in New England. Its a strong bumper. You worry more about the thing you hit rather than what your truck looks like.

1.JPG

9. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

yea i want mine with lights on it to and they are nice cause you don't have to worry about damge to your bumper when plowing lol. my brothers friend has one with the lights in it and i thnk it cost about $900. i see them all the time on trucks where i plow

10. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

11. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

here is the bumper that came on my truck when i bought it used

2011-02-04_16-29-03_621.jpg

12. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I was looking at the Buckstop bumper also, it looks good. After not putting a even ding in a bumper in ten years of plowing, I backed into a snow bank last week and dented the stock one. It seems I could get a nice aftermarket bumper for the same price as a OEM bumper, and it would hold up better.

13. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I just ordered a tube bumper from bumperdude.com. $446 shipped to a business address near me.
    Bottom bumper is what I ordred ( 8" drop, no lights, works with factory hitch )
    [​IMG]
    Its being shipped tomorrow. I'll take pic's once I get it.

14. Jumanji

Jumanji Junior Member

15. serafii

serafii Senior Member

heres one me n my dad built about 10 years ago. 8 inch C channel just cut, bent and welded together. took the brackets off the stock bumper, welded them to this one n it bolts right up to the truck.

the bumper has had MANY collision with other vehicles, snow/ice banks and cement walls. it hasnt even moved.

total cost was probably about $100-$200 with about 2 days of work.

bumper1.jpg

bumper.jpg

16. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

UPDATE:

Posting this for anyone that googles bumperdude.com. Dont wast your time. Mark ( owner ) seems to be a real flake. Its been over a month since I ordered, and what was supposed to be shipped in a couple days, has still not been shipped. The guy ignores phone calls and most txt messages. He txt'd back just enough to keep me waiting. I finally gave up today, texted and called him to cancel my order ( still havent heard from him ).

Sooo, I order from another vendor. I paid $550 shipped for this:
    [​IMG]
    Not as heavy duty as the tube bumper, but I like the style better. I'll post the vendor, once I have it in hand.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  17. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

JimRoss - Very nice sir! Thanks for the pic!

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

subscribing.

19. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I ordered a Buckstop rear bumper, it should be here next week. I'll let you know how the quality is and fit/finish when it gets here. I went with this one because I wanted something a little more refined looking than other steel bumpers I found.

rear bumper.jpg

20. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I really liked the Buckstop bumper, but they wanted $875 shipped, for a plain one ( no lighting holes ). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.