1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket parts?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bob coco, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bob coco

bob coco Member

I just purchased some replacement hoses for my 9' Unimount. The hoses are much lighter then the original hoses. I'm not overly concerned about that but I want to buy new trip springs and eyebolts and don't want a lighter or thinner spring then what's there now. I'm getting these parts from my local Napa Auto parts store and the aftermarket name is SAM. Are there springs the same quality as the OEM Western springs?

Thanks, Bob
  2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Are the hoses rubber or nylon? The nylon ones work but in my experience not as good as the rubber ones, In the rubber you can get both single braid or two braid, two braid being higher pressure. As for the springs I have found the aftermarket ones to be just as good as OEM. I was told once the aftermarket come from the same place as OEM. In other words Western just buys the springs from a manufacture stock.
  3. bob coco

bob coco Member

Thanks for the info, I'll order the springs online now. The closest Western dealer is about 40 miles away. And the new hoses are nylon. I think the old hoses are original. They were not leaking but just very old. I'm going to add two springs to my plow. It is an old 9' plow and only has 3 trip springs. I know my 7.5' Ultramount has 4 trip springs so I'm guessing that 5 wouldn't be too much on a 9' blade. I'll just loosen the springs a bit.