1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket Motor is Loud?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dstosh, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Lost a motor on one of the plows today- Picked up a aftermarket motor, and it is extremely loud. Is this normal or is something wrong? The motor almost sounds gravel-y if that makes sense?

Any thing I can do to quiet it down?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You get what you pay for. :waving:

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

It was 120+ Bucks or so.

Why is it so loud like that? Will it be ok?

Thanks B+B-I knew you'd know

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

75% of the time they're loud because they're junk. But the other 25% is because the bushing in the manifold is also worn out (from the wear in the old motor) thus it causes the new motor to run out of center. As it's the bushing in the manifold that supports that end of the motor armature. Did you check the bushing while the motor was removed? If not you'll want to do so and replace it if needed.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Very common. After market ones are cheap and loud!

6. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I just put an aftermarket motor from napa on my unimount. It is very loud. Should have bought a Western replacement, but I needed it immediately. I was wondering if something was wrong also, but I guess that's what I get for buying the $99 one.

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I guess mine was so loud cause it wasn't lined up quite right. New motor quit- and Had to buy the whole new piece that the motor sits on.

Bolts broke off when I tried to get the old motor off-Drilled and tapped- I guess it wasnt right

I hate putting money into plows in March