1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket Lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCPM, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Ok so I ran a quick search and didn't really find what I was looking for. I am going through both my Boss 9'2" V and my Boss 10' straight plows and one of the issues I need to tend to are the lights. Both are RT3's I believe.

The lights are awful in the first place, and I read abou the HID conversion kits, but the biggest issue is that they come out of adjustment after a couple of storms. I've adjusted them every which way I can but can't seem to keep them facing forward. Last year I put 6k miles on my service truck plowing with the lights facing into the ground.

Are there any aftermarket lights on the market that don't look like the old box lights? I haven't really come across anything. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I never had a problem with my stock Boss lights coming out of adjustment. Sounds stupid, but have you tried using threadlock on the adjustment nuts and also getting them setup when its warmer out so you can tighten everything up more without the plastic being so brittle and cracking? I too have looked into the HID kits and they just dont seem like they;d hold up. I think those ballasts are somewhat sensitive to being bounced around....
  3. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Idk, I've had 3, Boss plows and all have had the same adjustment issue. I just cut the carriage bolts and replaced them today. When they get too rusty you can't adjust them anymore. They just spin in place and you can't loosen them. Even with never-seize I still have the same problem. I'll probably just fix them again this year but I wish there were some cool aftermarket lights out there that didn't break the bank.....