1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aftermarket intake & carb?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by StangDude, Jul 19, 2002.

1. StangDude

StangDude Junior Member
    from MA

Some quick background:
    I have a 1985 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 auto, 350 engine that I am getting ready to either rebuld or replace with a crate engine (haven't decided yet). The engine currently runs good, but a recent drop in oil pressure inidcates bearings are going.

I am getting an engine code which indentifies a problem with the idle mixture solenoid, located in the stock carb. Replacement is about $90 bucks and untold time/headache to remove and replace, not to mention this is the orignial carb with >120k miles and no telling if it will starte to have other problems. So my question is: when I replace/rebuild the engine, should I replace the stock intake & carb with aftermarket (Edelbrock/Holley) or keep and rebuild the stock carb? What issues am I dealing with respect to emissions if I go the aftermarket route? Any other words of wisdom?
    Thanks in advance!