1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

aftermarket headlights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rdfenn3, Jan 15, 2015.

1. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

What's the best aftermarket headlights for a uni mount straight blade? Or should I just go with the ultramount lamps
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The uni is limited to what lights you can put on it because of the wiring. The 9 pin plug uses only one plug pin and one wire for both high beams and one pin/ wire for low beams. The 12 has a dedicated pin for each side so will handle more current. When you upgrade your lights you need to be aware of the current the lights draw or you could have problems with voltage drop.

If you upgrade your light assembly to the Nighthawks (the new style that comes with ultra-mounts) you will have to change your whole wiring system. The Nighthawks come with the dedicated 11 pin light plug that is only compatible with the three plug (at the grill), 3 or 4 port isolation module lighting system. You could butcher the wires and tie them into the 9 or 12 pin uni wiring but it would be a shame to do that.

Another problem with the Nighthawks is that you will need the adapter plate. Western sells them or you could make one. In addition the harness that comes with them is a bit too short to follow the contours of the long light arms. I have seen people put a metal brace from side to side just below the lights to provide something to secure the wire to as well as to make the lights a bit more ridged. Nighthawks are heavier than the original assemblies.

There are some LED light kits you can buy that come with the rectangular lens and bulb all together. LEDs are very efficient as far as the percentage of electrical energy that is actually converted to light energy as opposed to generating heat. That makes them ideal for your situation because you will get lots more light without drawing a lot more current.

Personally, what I would do if I had an old uni is mount some HID headlight (or some other cheaper very bright lights) and then add a dedicated headlight plug at the grill. Then I would tie in a relay setup to the original headlight relay outputs so the high and low beam HIDs are powered directly from your truck battery. This way the lights would be switched like normal but would not be affected by the limitations of the original grill plug.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

I have some led lights that I installed I n mine and love em. I posted pics of mine in the picture forum awhile back.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im starting see a lot unimount rigs running Led work lights
  5. pcurtice

pcurtice Junior Member
    from Yooper

Was it a straight forward Mod? I looked for your pics with no luck. Can you post the link? Also what brand did you use. Thanks.
  6. pcurtice

pcurtice Junior Member
    from Yooper

Found the pics I believe. Thanks for posting them.
  7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

pcurtice, glad you found them. all it had to was change the plug configuration. I could of cut the existing plug out, but instead added jumper wires into the existing plug with to connect spade terminals on the light just incase one went bad and needed to go back to a halogen.
  8. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

I have a set of lights from my ultra mount work fine I just upgraded a few years back 75 bucks and shipping you can have them
  9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Do the led headlights freeze up due to their efficiency and lack of heat?
  10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

that is what I was worried about. I wanted to do the hella H4 conversions on ebay with 90/100 h4 bulbs Thumbs Up