1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After Snow Plow Care

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jone43, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Jone43

Jone43 Member

I have always made a practice of scrubbing my plow down top to bottom and spraying it with a fine coat of WD-40 after every use. My current plow is only a year old but looks as if it just came out of the box. Recently someone told me that WD-40 soaking on the plow will do more harm then good. Anybody out there have any opinion? Is there another product out there that you guys like? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2003 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
    8' Western Ultra Mount

2. Rainman

Rainman Junior Member

Personally I use Fluid Film. It is a lubricant as well as a rust inhibitor. Works well for me!

3. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Anything ( spray ) that will "displace" water and is not a listed corrosive should work on helping you to protect metals (plows). I have used WD40 for years,,,,no problems. I also use silicone spray ( it bonds a bit better )..Also DURA LUBE in the pump spray bottle is really good stuff as a lubricant.

4. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Thanks guys. I could not understand how WD could be detrimental to the metal or even hoses or fittings. I wonder why plow manufactures dont sell something for after snow care?

5. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

wd-40??

what exactly does something like wd-40 do for the plow why do people do it

6. danno

danno Senior Member

Probably because they want your plow to get old, as fast as possible, for you to buy a "nicer" looking one. I wonder also why they don`t sell a plow cover thats "breathable" to keep it nice when outdoors also. :confused:

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

what you really need is a salt nuetralizer to spray on the equipment i dont care how many times use wash your plow or spreader you will still see the residu. my father in-law sells it. more info email me at kustom-kare@sbcglobal.net

8. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

WD-40 helps to prevent snow from sticking to your plow. :)

9. danno

danno Senior Member

It`s a lubicant/ protectant

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I only use Corrosion X. They do not give this stuff away but it works. It is for aircraft ans marine use,they both have high corrosion rates. Web site is wwwcorrosionx.com They even have a special corrosion x hd for high corrosion area's. If you try this stuff you will not use anything else.

Regards Mike

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

WD40 was the 40th formula the inventor tried of a Water Dispersing Lubricant- it is NOT a protectant- rain will wash it off. The fact that it happens to have penitrating properties doesn;t change that either- spray your plow then check after a rain storm.

My local Fisher dealer recomends a specific sillicone spray they sell which is what I normally use on pivoting points- white moly grease if I am out of silicone.

12. jasf

jasf Member

Castle Big 5 seems to be the popular choice around here.Lubricant,waterproofer&rust inhibitor all in 1 can.

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've used wd-40 for years with excellent results.

14. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

CRC marine lube- you spray it on outboards and jet skis after being in salt water to prevent rustin on the engines etc. With all the water and salt our plows encounter this is by far best.

15. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

hand wax??

what about hand waxing the front and as much as i can and spray on waxing the rest????? this is what i did to mine.. BUT THERE IS NOT SNOW..there for i dont know how it works. i used mothers wax....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

17. MLB

MLB Senior Member

wd

it has solvents, that's why it will degrease your hands or remove residues on things. But after they evaporate it leaves a sticky residue that does attract and hold dirt.
    That's why you should never use WD40 as a lubricant!
    You hear the same stories: "got this squeeky widget, but I keep a can of WD and give it a shot and it's good as new!" " about every month or so"................

It AIN"T a lubricant!

My understanding is it was invented during WWII to spray and protect metal parts while being shipped overseas. Before it, NEW parts were arriving already rusting from the salt water spray.

18. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This is true. Allways lubricate moving parts after using wd40 as it does leave a residue which will protect.

19. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We have been using WD-40 for years with good results. Another great product is called "Rost Off" and we get it at our local John Deere dealer.

20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You guys make me laugh, wax you plow!!!!! Your guys are really nutz. Dont you have better things to do but wax your plow? Its a piece of equip its not a show piece. I never heard of a guy spraying down his track hoe cause he wants it to look good. Get a hobby already!!!! Sheesh....Rob